Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooohh, That Smell

This was the tune I was humming all afternoon yesterday while trying to identify this strange smell coming from the garage. Sort of smelled like foody burnt rubber.

Fearing the house was slowly getting ready to ignte, we finally traced the smell to the extra refrigerator in the garage and unplugged it. Stuff in the freezer had already started to thaw.

Can anyone tell me what was burning and can it be fixed or is it time to retire the fridge. The smell wasn't electrical and i think its in the compressor but I've never smelled that smell with a failed referigerator.

I can't remember the make/modle at the moment, but it is an older unit that was restored about 2 years ago - we picked it up for about $150. The compressor is monuted on the bottom and the coil is mountred to the back and is one of those screen type that cover the entire back of the unit. Pretty simple design.

Just curious. Thanks

Can anyone tell me what was burning
    Not without actually investigating it.

The smell wasn't electrical and i think its in the compressor but I've never smelled that smell with a failed referigerator.
    The compressor is sealed. The only smell it would give off would come from the electricals connected to it or a slim chance of it overheating.

BTW. The refrigerant used in domestic refrigerators since the 50's is also odorless and colorless so that is unlikely to be the cause as well.

can it be fixed?
    That is impossible to say without the actual origin of the odor being isolated first.

I can't remember the make/model at the moment
    If you post again please supply it.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Its a Sears & Roebuck manufactured by Hoffman Estates, Model # 25336610894. The the only identification on the controls is Energy Saver ECO.

It was definetly the smell of burnt rubber, not plastic, not how wires. I don't think it was the compressor either since everything appeared to be sealed.

The wife just wants it gone so i don't know if it is worth exploring further

Comment

Sears & Roebuck manufactured by Hoffman Estates, Model # 253.36610894
        That model refrigerator was actually manufactured for Sears by Frigidaire (aka. Electrolux).

LINK > Appliance411: Who makes Kenmore?

i don't know if it is worth exploring further
        That will be up to you. If you do want to see if it might be worthwhile to have repaired someone will have to investigate the source of the odor to narrow possible causes. Once found you can then make an informed decision between repair and replacement.

LINK > Appliance411: When to replace an appliance?

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =