Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Microwave space saver

Hi,

I was trying to change the bulbs on my GE Space Saver Microwave (JVM1420BB02)and I heard a pop and discovered it blew a fuse at the main box. Unfortunetly I forgot to unplug it. I changed the bulbs and reset the breaker but the lights do not come on. Does anyone know if there is an internal fuse that might have blown?

Thanks

Unplug first!

I changed the bulbs [but forgot to unplug it first]... Does anyone know if there is an internal fuse that might have blown?
    I'm afraid not. The only fuse would usually shut down the whole microwave.

Usually what occurs on GE (and some other brands) OTR microwaves is when the bulbs are changed without disconnecting power first and a short is caused in the process, the electronic control itself gets damaged. When that occurs the control circuit board usually needs to be replaced to correct the condition.

LINK > GE JVM1420BB02 Electronic Control

The damage to the electronic control is usually plainly visible when inspected.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan,

The rest of the features on the unit work. Is this normal if the circuit board is bad?

Comment

The control board has numerous circuits on it, each for different functions. When the control fails the whole thing doesn't necessarily need to stop functioning. If just the light circuit was damaged the rest of the control could continue to operate normally.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks again Dan,

Is the board easy to change or is it better to call out a technician?

Thanks

Comment

I did the same thing and it was a control board. Luckily mine was still under warranty and they came out and replaced it free.

Comment

Is the board easy to change
              I don't know if "easy" would accurately describe the job but it isn't overly difficult for someone that knows what they're doing. All the wiring just plugs onto the board once you get to it.

or is it better to call out a technician?
              A microwave's high voltage capacitor can hold a charge even when unplugged. Safety precautions must be taken when servicing a microwave oven. I don't know how much chance there is of someone coming into contact with the capacitor just performing a board replacement but it could be something to watch out for.

Of course, disconnect power before servicing!

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =