Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inglis Dryer Quitting

My Inglis dryer ip 82000 (electric) quits running after 3-5 minutes. It heats up ok, and is not making any unusual noises. I removed the vent to see if it was overheating from blockage, but it is doing the same thing. It is blowing a lot of air, so I don't think there's a blockage inside. Any help appreciated.

Restart?

Inglis dryer [model] IP82000 quits running after 3-5 minutes.
    When it stops, can it be restarted right away or will it only run again if let sit off for some period of time?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.ca
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It would take a few minutes to restart. Since I posted, I moved the controls from timed dry to automatic dry and it did not quit. I then tried it back on timed dry and it worked fine. Maybe the timer is on the way out ?

Comment

It would take a few minutes to restart.
        That can be a classic symptom of the the motor overheating and cutting out on its internal overload protect. That could be caused by the motor just being plugged with lint and dust, etc. or a problem in the motor itself.

LINK > Drive Motor Thermal Protector

LINK > Inglis IP82000 Dryer Motor

When it stopped running on the timed cycle, did the timer continue to advance to the end of the cycle?

I moved the controls from timed dry to automatic dry and it did not quit. I then tried it back on timed dry and it worked fine. Maybe the timer is on the way out?
        While a timer failure could stop the dryer from running, the same timer contacts would be responsible during both regular and automatic cycles, It might be unlikely that that same timer contact would act differently on the different settings. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion the timer was the problem unless it can actually be confirmed.

LINK > Inglis IP82000 Dryer Timer

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 06-13-2011, 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sorry for slow reply. I actually didn't wait long enough to see if the timer continued after the machine quit.
          Do you suggest removing the top and vacuuming the motor vents out?

Comment

Do you suggest removing the top and vacuuming the motor vents out?
            Inspecting and cleaning of the motor, if necessary, would be a good idea. It is part of the periodic maintenance which should be performed occasionally on dryers along with a thorough cleaning of the venting.

Someone might want to confirm the timer movement first though to help get an idea of what the symptoms actually are. Otherwise you may never know if there was a change or not after servicing.

You can read a bit about servicing that style of dryer at the following link:

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Sears and Whirlpool Electric Dryer

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you Dan !

Comment

Working...
              X
              =