Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson ggf334bhwd gas range has weak spark

Dan, HayZee here. I have a Gibson gas range with a surface burner ignitor not working. The spark module is ok as the rest of the burners work ok. I used an insulated screwdriver from burner ground to close proximity to the electrode and get a very small spark. Could it be the air humidity that's causing it not to fire? I inquired into the wiring harness and repair clinic wants 80 bucks for four silicone glass wires with connectors.
    Next question - each burner head uses three screws to fasten it to the top plate. I'm assuming the top uses spring fasteners and screws from the rear to fasten the top to the rest of the body.
    I have nickel/silver connectors [high heat] to connect the wires to the ignitor. Is this do-able?
    Tom
    Last edited by Dan O.; 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: made more descriptive title

dAN, IS THERE A WAY TO FREE UP THE THREE BURNER SCREWS WITHOUT BREAKING THEM? They are steel against a white metal burner. I broke three of them today.

Comment

The spark module is ok as the rest of the burners work ok. Could it be the air humidity that's causing it not to fire?
      Just the one burner?? I very much doubt it. All burners are under the same conditions. I would think if it affected one, they all should be affected.

The spark module is ok as the rest of the burners work ok.
      I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Is there a way to free up the three burner screws without breaking them?
      Often not. It is a bane of gas range technicians. The dissimilar metals of the head and screws allow an electrolytic process to occur between them, seizing them in place.

One technician reported that he puts a small dab of dishwashing detergent on them an lets it sit for a while which sometimes frees them up. Maybe some sort of chemical process takes place? I haven't tried it. For regular seized bolts sometimes striking the end of the screwdriver with a mallet while on them frees them up.

I'm assuming the top uses spring fasteners and screws from the rear to fasten the top to the rest of the body.
      I don't know about your particular model but often there are either screws or clips at the front edge of the top allowing it to 'hinge' up.

Don't try raising the top without disconnecting the heads first or damage to the gas tubing could result!

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

gibson gas range

Originally posted by Dan O.
        Just the one burner?? I very much doubt it. All burners are under the same conditions. I would think if it affected one, they all should be affected.
        But that is not the case. The other three burners light very easily. The wiring harness comes from the ignitor module. Each wire goes to its individual burner spark gap. The ignitor switch surrounds each burner valve so when you go to the light position, the module is actuated and all spark gaps fire. The burner with the open valve lights, the others stay off.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.
        No jumping here - I'm very thorough in ascertaining what is wrong and what is available to repair it.

One technician reported that he puts a small dab of dishwashing detergent on them an lets it sit for a while which sometimes frees them up. Maybe some sort of chemical process takes place? I haven't tried it.
        I will try the dishwashing soap idea, then LPS penetrating oil. The screws have a hex head, the screws are about a #6 self tapping.

See above answers to your quotes
        Last edited by Dan O.; 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM. Reason: message formatting

Comment

You said, "Could it be the air humidity that's causing it not to fire? "

Are they not all in the same air and thus subject to the same humidity?

You said, "The spark module is ok as the rest of the burners work ok. "

It is possible for part of the module to malfunction but it not all of it. In such a case the module would not be Ok just because some of it was functioning. That's all I was saying.

I will try the dishwashing soap idea, then LPS penetrating oil.
          Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =