Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE (Model 26) Bottom Freezer Icemaker Problem

I have a 2 year old GE refrigerator with french doors and bottom freezer. It has an icemaker and water dispenser on the left door.

I recently got done with a remodel with the water turned off to the fridge. When we moved back in, I replaced the filter, ran water out of it and thought everything was working.

I'm getting cold, filtered water, but the icemaker isn't making ice. Essentially it doesn't sound like it's getting water.

Please help!

[2 year old] GE (Model 26) Bottom
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number (26 isn't it). If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

I'm getting cold, filtered water, but the icemaker isn't making ice
    The 'fill tube' that goes through the rear of the cabinet to the ice maker could be frozen closed. The icemaker side of the water fill valve on the back of the fridge could be defective. The freezer might not be cold enough for the icemaker to function (it has to be below 5 deg. F) or there could be a problem in the icemaker itself.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Thanks for the response. The model is: GFSS6KKYSS

I defrosted it this weekend to see if it was a frozen valve. It doesn't seem to be since I still haven't heard any water go into the ice maker. It seems to be very cold (frost on the inside), so the fill valve may be the issue?

How hard is that to replace on my own?

Comment

The model is: GFSS6KKYSS
        That model number does not look correct, it appears to be missing a digit. Eg. GFSS6KKY_SS
        Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?

I defrosted it this weekend
        You defrosted it with the doors open? Ice may not thaw with just the unit turned off if that's what you did.

How hard is that to replace on my own?
        Replacing most refrigerator water valves is not usually an overly difficult job but the part is expensive for the model I looked up. You can see the water valve from one possible GE refrigerator model at the link below.

LINK > GE GFSS6KKYCSS Water Valve

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

Yes, I defrosted it with the doors open and power off for about 3 hours. About 12 hours after we turned it back on, we got 3 cubes of ice.

So, the ice maker definitely is able to freeze, so it seems to be an issue of getting water to it.

The valve below is expensive...but does it sound like that's this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by laxman1100
            Yes, I defrosted it with the doors open and power off for about 3 hours.
            Just 3 hours may be insufficient as well. A total defrosting of a refrigerator would often require 12+ hours with the doors open but if the operation was just to fix a possible frozen icemaker fill tube, just locating and manually thawing it would usually be a simpler route.

The valve below is expensive...but does it sound like that's this issue?
            Until all other possibilities have been ruled out or the valve itself found to be defective I would not recommend just replacing it on a guess.

JMO

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

Comment

What is the best way to find and fix the fill tube on my model?

Comment

I don't know about your specific model but the fill tube usually goes through the rear of the cabinet to the icemaker. There should be a water line from the fridge's water fill valve to that fill tube. Follow it and the fill tube should be found.

The fill tube might be able to be removed or warm water or a hairdryer might be able to be used to thaw it in place. Blowing through it might indicate whether it was blocked or not.

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =