Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Ice Maker Overfilling

I have a Frigidaire side b side frig. Model: FRS26LF8CB3

I was told initially it was the water valve. So I was brave and removed/replaced the valve from the back of the frig. The problem "seemed" to stop was not as bad for a few months...still was not really happy. Now again it is overfilling.

So what else could it be...the ice maker? I don't know what else to try. I did notice if I remove the front cover of the ice maker where I can see the gear wheels there is a screen. It is centered between a - and + If I adjust the screw I can go closer to the + or the - so what does this control. is it the water flow?

Thx

"Over filling"?

Is the water valve on the back of the fridge being powered when it is overfilling?

If the valve IS being powered and is resulting in overfilling, that the problem would have to be at the icemaker. If water is continuing to flow to the icemaker *even when power to the water valve has ceased*, the problem could be in the water valve or there could be too little water pressure to that valve. Since you replaced the fridge water valve, that would likely rule it out as a possibility.

Too low of water pressure could be caused by a partially plugged sediment screen in the water valve (if used), a partially plugged inline water filter (if installed) or most commonly, the use of a 'self-piercing' water valve on the house water line.

Only a drill type saddle valve should be used (if not a regular plumbing tap) and only mounted on the top or side of a water pipe. Any type of saddle valve mounted on the underside of a water pipe is prone to lime, scale and sediment building up in the valve's aperture restricting water flow through it.

If I adjust the screw I can go closer to the + or the - so what does this control. is it the water flow?
    It adjusts the timing of a fill. After initial installation it should rarely need to be adjusted. I suggest you eliminate all other possibilities before tampering with the fill's timing.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    Last edited by Dan O.; 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Thx...

I can hear the valve running and also hear the water going into the ice maker. The when it stops I can see water spilling over the back end like it has been overfilled. This is what I saw before I replaced...and I did after but it was spotty it did it ever so often not very bad...

Now I need to listen and wait to see if the ice maker ever fills without the valve going off...this I cannot answer I just know I run into the kitchen when I hear the valve

Comment

the fill valve essentially works off a timer. there are no floats in the ice maker to detect water level. if your fill valve is pressure assist to close then low water pressure will keep it open until the spring inside over powers the water pressure.

Comment

well I took a chance thinking I would need to replace the ice maker and turned that screw....in hopes that I can slow down water filling....so far for the past weeks or so...not one overflow leak...but this all could be accidental...

Comment

Working...
          X
          =