Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson (Frigidaire) Dryer Belt Replacement

I have a Gibson spacemaster stackable washer dryer. The dyer tub has been squeeky for over a year, but even the Sears guy can't fix it. Yesterday it stopped spinning. The motor is still going. I am guessing a belt. I am going to try to fix it. Advice? (EL27M6-A; GL27M6-A. I also have the model numbers.0

I am guessing a belt.
    Belts on dryers are rarely (if ever) responsible for squealing sounds. The most common causes for such sounds are a problem with the rear drum shaft and/or drum bearing, a worn idler pulley, worn front drum slides, worn front drum seal or a problem with the motor bearings.

PS. Do NOT try spraying any kind of belt dressing on the machine. In NO cases should it be necessary.

I also have the model numbers
    We would need the model number taken from the appliance's model and serial number identification tag to see what appliance design you're dealing with. If this machine is a laundry center (one piece washer/dryer) it will only have one model number. If it is a dryer stacked on top of a separate washer, both washer and dryer will have separate model numbers in which case we'd need the dryer's model number from the appliance's model and serial number identification tag.

even the Sears guy can't fix it.
    I don't know why he wouldn't be able to, dryers are fairly simple machines. You might want to try a Frigidaire factory authorized service depot as they would be most knowledgeable about repairing Frigidaire brand appliances and most likely to carry components it might need to correct common problems.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Thanks, Dan. I have the front off and will try to install the belt tomorrow. Can't find a manual, but will give it a try. You are right that dryers are pretty elementary. I can live with the squeek. It stops after a while and isn't so bad if I push the bin back a bit before I start it. It's no spring chicken of a unit, but we would like to use them one more year.

That said, if I need to get a new stackable gas pair of w/d what would you recommend, Mr. Knowshisstuff?

Comment

if I need to get a new stackable gas pair of w/d what would you recommend
        I'm still not sure what appliance type you're referring to. Is it a one-piece laundry center or a stacked washer/dryer? Posting it's complete model number would allow us to look it up.

If a laundry center, I don't know many manufacturers of them. Frigidiare makes many of them and they are often rebranded with other brand names. With GE, they used to be a Frigidiare washer with GE dryer built in. I have seen Kenmore machines with a Frigidaire washer and either GE, Whirlpool or Frigidaire Dryer.

But there are few problems a dryer can experience that would justify replacing the whole machine.

JMO

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Working...
        X
        =