Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Dryer (model DBXR463ED2WW) does not cycle to lower temp

My GE dryer (model DBXR463ED2WW) drys at a high temp even when the temp selector is set to a low temp. Is this a thermostat prob? I have searched and found a high limit thermo and cycling thermo. Do I need to replace both of just one or is this prob from something all together different? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Last edited by Back40; 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM. Reason: Problem described incorrectly

Originally posted by Back40

My GE dryer is not switching to a lower temp in the cycle.
    What do you mean by that? What exactly you are expecting should happen??

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Hi Dan, apologize for describing the problem incorrectly. I am getting this info 2nd hand. The problem is that the dryer drys at a high temp even when the temp selector is set to low. Thanks again for your feedback!

Comment

It is the control thermostat responsible for controlling operating temperatures. When set on a lower heat setting a 'bias heater' inside the thermostat is powered lowering the temperature it operates at resulting in cooler drying.

LINK > Dryer thermostats, safeties and sensors

If the dryer only operates as if on 'hi' that thermostat could be defective or the heat selector switch could be.

LINK > GE DBXR463ED2WW Control Thermostat

LINK > DBXR463ED2WW Heat Selector Switch

The bias heater terminals should be able to be tested for resistance to see if it was defective. It should have some resistance. If it showed infinite resistance the thermostat heater would be defective and the dryer would only dryer at the hottest temperature.

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

Thanks Dan. However, when I search on the model I also see the following cycling thermostat (Manufacturer Number WE4M216). Just want to confirm the correct thermostat before ordering.

Also, I have had limited experience using a multi tester. How would I go about testing the Heat Selector Switch?

Thanks again for your guidance!

Comment

Originally posted by Back40

I also see the following cycling thermostat (Manufacturer Number WE4M216).
            That one is mounted on the exhaust output. I don't know if it is used for the main temperature control but its bias heater could be tested as well. It's a failure of that part of the thermostat which would prevent different temperatures from being used.

I have had limited experience using a multi tester. How would I go about testing the Heat Selector Switch?
            I can't tell you exactly. Someone would need to look at the appliance's wiring diagram to see if its switching matrix is listed and then test each set of contacts one at a time while the switch was changed from setting to setting. There might be test procedures listed in the 'tech sheet' which should accompany the unit's wiring diagram.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

There may also be resister(s) connected in the wiring to those switch terminals which might need to be tested as well, if not internal to the switch itself.

JFYI

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            =