Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food Disposer(InSink Erator) - how to fix the leak?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Disposer(InSink Erator) - how to fix the leak?

Newbie here

I do read the forums often but did not have to post anything until this evening.

We have an In-sink Erator disposal model 5-81 which is leaking from the bottom housing unit(as shown in the picture). The unit is about 6 years old.

Tried to reset the RED button and also used the special in-sink erator wrench to crank the hex key to remove anything that's jammed.

The problem is even without turning the disposer ON, water simply comes out of the housing unit as soon as the faucet is turned - Is it time for a new food disposer?

I would say yes time for a new unit. inside under the grinding disk and end bell is a ceramic/carbon spring loaded water seal. one part stays stationary the other part rotates with the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I would say yes time for a new unit. inside under the grinding disk and end bell is a ceramic/carbon spring loaded water seal. one part stays stationary the other part rotates with the motor.
      Thank you for responding.

Is it something that I could re-apply the water seal by dismantling the unit(am going to take it down - why not take it apart) or is it just better to buy a new one(available online for about $83)

Comment

I think its more trouble than its worth. the stationary piece is pressed into the end bell and without an "inside gear puller" its almost impossible to remove. besides whatever waste food was in the grinding chamber is now inside the motor winding part and stinks like all hell!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =