Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool ice maker

I sure could use some help with my ice maker.

Side by side whirlpool refrigerator model GD25DIXHT00 serial SK3548029.

My ice maker would not cut off keep making ice. I turned the switch to the ice maker off keep making ice. I had to turn the water supply off to stop it.

A few days later i turned the water back on. Now it will not make ice.

I have turned the switch on & off several times & have done a complete defrost. Has been back on several days still no ice.

Sure could use some help

Dennis

Thought I should add this ice maker does not have a wire shut-off arm, it has a lectric eye sensor.
    Last edited by Dennis Meyer; 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM. Reason: needed to add information

Clarification needed

I turned the switch to the ice maker off, [kept] making ice.
    When 'OFF' did the icemaker go though the motions of making actual cubes or did the icemaker just keep filling with water?
    (Those are not necessarily the same thing.)

done a complete defrost
    What exactly did your defrosting entail?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It keep making ice cubes. I unpluged the refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours. After the defrost I removed most of the water from the ice tray with a spung. The ice tray filled up with water & is frozen just won't dump.

First answer very bad hope this explanes it better.

Thanks

Comment

My ice maker would not cut off keep making ice. I turned the switch to the ice maker off keep making ice.
        If the switch is not stopping power from getting to the icemaker, maybe that switch unit (see the link below) is defective? That could also explain why the icemaker never stopped making cubes. It is that unit that detects how full the ice bin is.

LINK > Whirlpool GD25DIXHT00 Emitter and Receiver Icemaker Control

After the defrost ...The ice tray filled up with water & is frozen just won't dump.
        Did the ice cube mold maybe just fill up too much with water and now the icemaker just can't break up the cubes to dump them?

You can read some test procedures for that design of icemaker at the following link.

LINK > Whirlpool 'Modular' Crescent-Mold Icemaker

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I don't think I have that ice maker no knob on my unit.

The ice maker I have the container that holds the ice is on the door. When you open the door there is a electric eye on the left side inside the freezer.On the right inside the freezer is a off & on switch.The ice maker goes across the front of the freezer on the inside.

The refrigerator mfg.date is 08-2000

I don't think the tray has to much water.

I think you are right that it may be the control board. I pulled out the eye & the off on switch. I can't see any bad spots. Is ther any way I can go around it to make sure this is my problem.

Thanks
          Last edited by Dennis Meyer; 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I don't think I have that ice maker no knob on my unit.
            Later models of that icemaker design have a smaller water fill adjustment screw behind the cover instead of a knob on the outside. (it should rarely need adjustment after initial setup anyway.) Some of the 'in door ice' icemakers may make fewer cubes at a time as well but the rest of the icemaker mechanism should be the same.

Is ther any way I can go around it to make sure this is my problem.
            I don't know about bypassing it but the PDF file at the following link may have some diagnostic procedures for it.

LINK > WHIRLPOOL & KITCHENAID IN-DOOR ICE SYSTEM

I hope it helps.

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Still need some more help. I have replaced both the emitten board & the receiver board. They have been replaced for 24 hours. Sill not working.When I did the test to see if the boards are working I got the following.

I never get a light from the emitten board. When I press the freezer door switch, the receiver board led flashes telling me it is in harvest mode (It did flash with the old board) This is the only lights I get.

I have removed the ice maker There is still no light from the emitten board. The receiver board is flashing with or without the the freezer board switched pressed.

I pulled the cover off of the control module. The control module has what appears to be a burned spot 1/4'' x 1/2''. Could this be my problem? Would this make me get false readings on my emitten & receiving boards or do think I got a bad board?

I took the control module off. The bottom brass clip that the motor plugs into is burned up,looks like it got water to it.

If you think this could be my problem what would be the number of the ice maker ? I think I would rather buy a new icemaker rather then to buy parts.

Thanks for your trouble

Dennis
              Last edited by Dennis Meyer; 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Meyer
                I pulled the cover off of the control module.
                Do you mean the icemaker module?

The control module has what appears to be a burned spot 1/4'' x 1/2''. Could this be my problem? Would this make me get false readings on my emitten & receiving boards or do think I got a bad board?
                If you're referring to the icemaker module, I would not expect it to affect operation of the emitter/receiver unit, no. Only the other way around, the emitter/receiver affecting the icemaker.

I took the control module off. The bottom brass clip that the motor plugs into is burned up,looks like it got water to it.

If you think this could be my problem what would be the number of the ice maker ? I think I would rather buy a new icemaker rather then to buy parts.
                It definitely sounds like A problem whether it is THE sole problem I don't know. You can see a complete replacement 8-cube icemaker assembly at the following link.

LINK > Whirlpool Complete Replacement Icemaker Asm.

JFYI

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 04-14-2012, 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Dan thanks for all the help!

I installed the ice maker & all is working.

Thanks
                  Dennis

Comment

Fixed

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                    Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =