Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezer compressor extremely hot

I bought a used Kenmore compact freezer- 564.29501990 and it seemed to be working fine when I purchased it, but I moved it in my car, laying it down on it's front door side with the top tilted down a little bit in my passenger seat of my Honda Accord.

After the car ride home (1 hour), I turned it on for a minute to check that it was working and turned it off (no noise).

About 4 hours later, I turned it on and after a few minutes, the freezer started to make a sucking noise as if it was trying to pump something through the coils, so I turned it off and let it sit for 24 hours and turned it on the next day.

The next day the sucking noise started again immediately after I turned it on, continued for about 5 minutes before it turned into a rattling noise.

Over the course of 20 minutes, the rattling noise got faster, but the noise level lessened.

After about 20 minutes, you could still hear it, but it was very low.

The freezer seems to work fine and after 30 minutes, I can see some frost on the coils developing.

When I touched the round tank at the bottom of the freezer in the back, it was extremely hot- almost too hot to touch...is this supposed to be that hot?

Did I damage my freezer during the move?

After the car ride home (1 hour), I turned it on for a minute to check that it was working
    You turned it on immediately without letting it stand upright first?

After transporting a refrigerator or freezer on its side, it should be left stand upright correctly for at least 10-15 minutes (if not for as long as it was on its side) before plugging it in or turning it on, to allow the oil normally found in the compressor to drain from the refrigerant lines back into the compressor. Failure to do so can cause a restriction in the refrigerant lines which would hamper (or totally prevent) cooling.

The freezer seems to work fine and after 30 minutes, I can see some frost on the coils developing.
    Frosting should occur uniformly across the whole evaporator (which in the case of an upright freezer are all the shelves). It is??

When I touched the round tank at the bottom of the freezer in the back, it was extremely hot- almost too hot to touch...is this supposed to be that hot?
    That will be the compressor and while it will usually be warm to the touch while operating, it should not be "hot".

If the "rattling noise" you heard was coming from the relay and overload on the compressor, that might be responsible for the compressor overheating. The sound might have been the compressor trying to start up but cutting out on its overload protector. That cycle could repeat over and over causing the compressor to overheat.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 04-14-2012, 12:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Yes, I turned it on immediately after setting it upright, but only for about a minute or so before I turned it off to clean the inside of the freezer which took me at least 30 minutes.

And yes, freezer has shelf coils - 3 sets.

The freezer was on when I purchased it, and it seemed to be cooling, but there was no frost on the coils.

I don't know how long they left it on before I got over there, and there are no temperature controls on this model.

For fear of damaging my freezer, I only ran it for 30 minutes once and turned it off after feeling the compressor-extremely hot.

Out of the 3 sets of coils, there is frost on the top and middle after about 30 minutes.

Can't post link to ad with pics I purchased from c-list Los Angeles. losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/app/2949717735 dot h t m l

I've turned it on several times since then, but only for a minute or so, and the noise seems to have disappeared.

Is the compressor supposed to get that hot when you first start it...does it cool down after a certain amount of time?

Comment

Originally posted by fatbottoms
        Yes, I turned it on immediately after setting it upright, but only for about a minute or so
        That's all it can take to create the problem.

Out of the 3 sets of coils, there is frost on the top and middle after about 30 minutes.
        All the coils should frost evenly although it is a good sign it is cooling at all.

Can't post link to ad with pics I purchased from c-list Los Angeles.
        it wouldn't help anyway.

Is the compressor supposed to get that hot when you first start it...does it cool down after a certain amount of time?
        No. It will be room temperature until running then warm slightly with use.

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =