Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Dryer

I have a Kenmore dryer that is about to get the best of me. It quit running, although I can hear the timer run, so I replaced the door switch, timer switch and neither worked. Sears repair man said it was the motor so we bought one ourselves and put it in. Still nothing. Since we have already put way too much into this dryer we said one more thing. The circuit board. Well guess what still nothing. We can hear the timer but it does not start. When the problem began it would run sometimes in the cool down cycle but that finally quit too. Any suggestions. I feel we have replaced everything.

Is this an electric dryer? If it is then you should first try opening the breaker and then resetting it. If after this you still have nothing, then you need to measure the voltage at the receptacle. You should have 120V to ground at each hot outlet to ground. It sounds as though you may only have 120 volts and not 240 volts. You'll need to buy a voltage tester and please be careful when testing.

Comment

Just changing parts, as you have found, is the costly and inefficient way to go. There should be a wiring diagram pasted on the unit's surface. If not, get one from the Manufacturer or search the Internet. The circuit must be checked for current flow. If no operation occurs at all, trace from power-in and henceforth point to point for a break in continuity, e.g., an open winding in a solenoid, or a defective switch, etc. No power applied, use an ohmmeter (you should be able to actuate relays manually). Power applied, use an AC voltmeter (see if relay(s) energize). The schematic does not lie. Keep in mind, for example, that relay contacts can be oxidized out of continuity;the same for switches. Some burned contacts if accessible can be burnished back to life. In short (no pun intended), you have to acquire the troubleshooting discipline.

Comment

Did all the above things. The thing that is strange is that it will run about 10 seconds in the cool down mode. Then nothing else.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =