Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Spacemaster (EL27M6WAFA XE34702429) dryer squeak

My Gibson Spacemaster (EL27M6WAFA XE34702429) dryer squeaks once each iteration. High-pitched, loud, drives me bananas - my wife for some strange reason appears immune to it (ear-plugs?). It came with the house we bought last year so not sure of age - younger than me but certainly older than our kids. I cannot find a manual available online so am about to open it up and poke around. I am not particularly good at working with appliances but always willing to poke around and make things worse - any suggestions on what i should look for or even where to start (or link to a manual) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Gary

Gibson [model EL27M6WAFA] dryer squeaks once each iteration
    Common locations for such a sound to come from on that design of dryer are the rear drum bearing and shaft (most common) or the front drum support felt (see the following links).

LINK > EL27M6WAFA Drum Shaft and Bearing Kit (# 1)

LINK > Front Drum Support Felt and Bearing (# 2)

BTW. If the rear drum bearing/shaft is the source, continuing to use it in that condition could lead to more extensive (and expensive to repair!) damage. I suggest someone look into the problem before it gets worse, eventually making replacing the whole machine ($$$$+) the most economical way to go.

PS. Accessing those components on your 'laundry center' (combo washer/dryer) will likely be a bit different than illustrated in the videos at the above links but those components should be identical to your model.

One other fairly common cause is a worn idler (belt tension) pulley (see the following link).

LINK > EL27M6WAFA Idler Pulley

Gibson dryer [model] EL27M6WAFA [serial] XE34702429. It came with the house we bought last year so not sure of age
    From the serial number it could have been manufactured in 1993 or 2003. The parts list is dated 1993 so the earlier date is likely correct. It is still not that old for a dryer if maintained and not 'run into the ground'.

LINK > Appliance411: Home Service: Date Code Search

High-pitched, loud, drives me bananas - my wife for some strange reason appears immune to it
    That's strange because at a service seminar we were told that women were more conscious of high pitch sounds than men are. They told us to not discount their opinion even if we couldn't hear anything ourselves.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =