Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Whirlpool Dryer Lost Heat

Okay, so we have this old Whirlpool Dryer that still tumbles but doesn't heat. It never worked very well and at first I'd have to put my clothes in for 2 60 min cycles to get them completely dry, then it was three. I also feel like sometimes it worked better than other times. Finally yesterday it just lost heat all together.

I took it apart and pulled out the heating element to check for any breaks (I had another dryer that lost heat and this was the issue), but I couldn't see any breaks. So what is the most likely issue after that?

dryer

clean out all the lint in the duct work, at the machine and external duct work.
    there are heat sensitive overloads at several locations throughout the system that have to be closed for the heat to function.
    one of those funny looking overloads is the thermostat.
    the element connectors might be bad. this is a nickel chrome round connector that is crimped to the element lead.
    all the motor does is spin the drum and imparts an air flow through the drum.

Comment

Old Whirlpool Dryer
      I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Whirlpool Dryer that still tumbles but doesn't heat... So what is the most likely issue after that?
      You can read about common causes of lack or heat in an electric dryer at the following link. Each possibility would have to be investigated one at a time until the cause in your case is found.

LINK > Can anybody tell me the most likely scenarios for lack of heat in an electric dryer?

It never worked very well and at first I'd have to put my clothes in for 2 60 min cycles to get them completely dry, then it was three. I also feel like sometimes it worked better than other times.
      It sounds like you might also have a venting problem. I *strongly* suggest the venting be inspected, *thoroughly* cleaned and its installation corrected if necessary as explained at the following link:

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

Poor venting is a very real fire hazard! Don't neglect it!

JMO

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =