Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Spacemaster washer / dryer washtub not spinning

I took the front cover off the washer and the pulley on the motor was HOT and a strong smell of burned rubber ...if I turn things by hand they seem fine , not a lot of tension on the belt. Not sure what normal belt tension should be, and nothing obviously broken, any help is greatly appreciated.

Model number?

Gibson Spacemaster washer
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Also, is it only spin that is the problem? Does it spin at all?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan O. Sticker under the dryer door reads EL27M6WXFD under that XE23300418 . The wash tub drains starts to spin but the belt slips on the motor pulley and slows to a stop. I can't get that good a view of the tensioner. But the belt doesn't seem too tight.

Thanks
      Brian

Comment

The belt is not suppose to be overly tight. It is designed to slip, which acts as a clutching mechanism on that washer design. There is a tension (idler) pulley to keep it the proper tension. It is also a special belt. Don't ever replace it with a plain rubber one!

The transmission pulley gets turned one way for wash, the opposite way for spin. The transmission can get jammed up and fail to turn, causing burning of the belt. Someone can check to see if the pulley can be turned in both directions with the belt off. (It will be more difficult to turn in the spin direction as the inner tub will also be turned at the same time.)

You can see the belt for your model and a video of replacing it on a standard washer at the following link. The motor/belt components are the dpsame on your washer.

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFD Washer Belt

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 08-01-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =