Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Refrig. compressor not running

I need a little help. I'll list clues and observations and then my thoughts.
    Maytag Refrigerator Model MSD2957AEW rev. 10 DOM 1998
    * No cooling
    *Compressor has a faint hum like stalled motor and is warm. Not the normal sound. (Condensor fan runs.)
    * Thermal overload clicks out in about 3 seconds and cycles.
    * start to common 3.0 ohms
    * run to common 2.1 ohms
    * All compressor pins to case >3 meg
    * start relay (I think a solid state device) rattles and some material shakes out through contact openings best described as metalized sand.
    * relay continuity (removed) from cap pin to compressor connector pin and power pin to compressor pin.
    * Cap checks good.

I'm pretty sure something in the start relay has disintegrated as indicated be rattle and metalized debris.

Is the compressor probably bad and cooked the start relay or is there a good chance that it's just a relay failure? Do compressor resistance readings sound normal?

Should I try a new relay to see if the compressor starts Or is it likely that it would instantly blow a new relay?

Thanks for any and all help..
    Jim

I replaced the motor starter. It runs perfect. The PTC pill in the Klixon starter had disintegrated. This pill is about 6 ohms initialy and goes to a high resistance after a half second or so. This provides a short shot of current to the start winding. This motor is a RSCR (Resistor Start Capacitor Run)type.
    For more info goto

and dowwnload the datasheet.
    Jim

Comment

After conversations with HVAC engineers at my work, I discovered that this problem is very common. I have a Kenmore from Sears that quit cooling. After almost overlooking to where the KLIXON even was, I found it !!! I removed it, shook it and heard the exact "sandy" sound of the PTC pill that was broke. And to think that I almost threw out the frig for this $10 part.
      This post above gives a GREAT synopsis so I thought I would give it a second recommendation.
      (my problem : fan ran, voltage ok, but compressor would not start)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimbode

I replaced the motor starter. It runs perfect. The PTC pill in the Klixon starter had disintegrated. This pill is about 6 ohms initialy and goes to a high resistance after a half second or so. This provides a short shot of current to the start winding. This motor is a RSCR (Resistor Start Capacitor Run)type.
        For more info goto

Jim
        Jim,
        I have the same problem,but I can not find KLIXON motor starter 8EA8A1.Where I can buy it.Any idea?
        Thanks
        Sergiy

Comment

Measure the resistance from Run to Start,,,it should equal the combined resistance of Run to common and Start to common, in this case 5.1 ohms.

If the Run to start resistance checks out the compressor windings are good.

You could test the start capacitor by removing all wires, discharge the capacitor, (preferrably by shunting across the terminals with a large value resistor, but generally done with a screwdriver) then with your OHM meter set on its highest scale, touch one probe to each terminal on the compressor, you should see the needle rise upscale,then fall back to zero.........Reverse the probes and repeat the test as before, if the needle rises then falls the capacitor is ok.

next , test for continuity across the poles on the Klixon (overload protector) should show full continuity when the Klixon is at room temperature.

If the start relay has a visible coil,with the relay in the upright position hold the test probes on the poles, should show continuity, now, while holding the leads on the poles turn the relay upside down,,should show an open circuit.

If you are a purist and want to keep it OEM you simply replace the defentive component...but,,,,,,,,

The much simpler solution is to test the compressor windings as stated before. If they check out,,,,simply install a 3in1 hard start kit.

The 3in1 kit looks like a capacitor, but it has a capacitor, overload protector and start relay all in one. Simple installation. Follow the directions for the color codes,,,one wire to common,,,one to start and one to run.........on the other side of the 3in1 you have a black and white wire...Black to power from thermostat..white to common..

Although the 3in1 units are listed as "ALL POSITION" Mountable, it is best to try to install it in a vertical posistion. (There is a built in mounting clip that will simply clip to any flat metal surface nearby.

While you are under the fridge, this would also be a good time to clean the condenser coils. Simplest method is to use a coil cleaning brush(available at the Refrigeration supply house) or a long handled bottle brush. r.rinard plumbr and hvac tech

Comment

Sergiy

If you are having a problem locating a Klixon the easiest solution would be to remove the klixon and start relay, and replace it with a solid state 3-in-one kit available at any appliance parts house.

The three in one kits have a motor capacitor, a solid state breaker and a start relay all built into one unit. The installation is fairly simple. Follow the directions on the kit for the secondary wiring color code. one wire to each compressor termninal, common, start and run. The even have terminal clips on the wire to match the pin terminals found on most compressors.

The primary side is simply two wires, white and black for power from the thermostat and circuit common.

The three in ones are about 1.5 inches in diameter and 4 inches long, with adequate wire lengths to meet the needs of almost all refrigerators and they have a built in mounting bracket so they can be attached to a frame component anywhere in the near vicinity of the compressor.

The three in one units are sometimes called "Hard start kits" because they have a built in capacitor that provides a little extra boost to start older compressors.

Comment

Paul, I am having the same problem that you had with Klixon starter. Do you know where I can buy it? Sears has it for $45+10 (ship). Shipping is 10 days. Other have it for much higher.

Sai
              quote:Originally posted by sergiy

quote:Originally posted by jimbode

For more info goto

Jim
              Jim,
              I have the same problem,but I can not find KLIXON motor starter 8EA8A1.Where I can buy it.Any idea?
              Thanks
              Sergiy

Comment

You can find 3-in 1 Hard start units at all HVAC or Applince parts supply houses.

Comment

I got the Klixon part from Point & Click Appliance Repair
                  Appliance Parts Experts is a Google trusted online store offering discount OEM appliance parts for most major brands. Buy appliance parts online that you can trust. Shop today for refrigerator parts, washer parts, dryer parts, range/oven parts, dishwasher parts, appliance cleaners & more!

Here's some details of my order. Standard shipping took 3 days but that may not always be true depending on your location.
                  Best to look up the correct part on their search as sometimes there is an upgrade part number.

Good luck!
                  Jim

QTY P/N DESCRIPTION PRICE EA. AMOUNT
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  001 61005504 RELAY,START $ 10.75 $ 10.75
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  TAX $ 0.00
                  SHIPPING $ 5.75
                  COUPON - $ 0.00
                  ========================
                  TOTAL $ 16.50

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =