Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Electric Oven Door locks on high temp

Hello There,

I have a Kenmore single wall oven with a microwave stacked on top. The model number is 911 4298814. When I turn on the oven to high like 450 degrees or hi broil, the oven door would lock. I guess there is something in the self-cleaning mechanicism is failing, but not sure what part.

I did shut the power off to the oven for 30mins to see if that corrected the problem, but it didn't

sswong

Although you didnt mention it in your post, you obviously have a self cleaning oven. Self cleaning ovens have a special powder coat lining that will withstand extremely high temps in the order of 750 degrees. The self cleaning action is acually just an extremely high temp operation that burns the foodstuffs off the cavity walls.
    If you oven is locking at 450 deg. one of two things is happening. First, the thermostatic locking mechanism for the self cleaning function may be out of calibration and locking slightly lower than what is normal but i would suspect it is probably working right and the actual oven thermostat is out of calibration ( a very common problem). To check the oven calibration put a good oven thermometer in the oven then run it up to 350 deg and let it set a few minutes, then open the door and quickly read the thermometer. You will probably find it 25 to 30 degrees off at 350.
    There are finite calibration adjustments on the oven temp control but they are best left to trained service people. If in doubt contact your manufacturers service center and ask them.
    Some Volt/Ohm/Miliammeters have a high temp sensing probe that can be put in the oven with the door closed and you can run it through the cycles, 250, 325/350/ 375/400/450. You could then make a calibration chart to indicate what the actual temps are at each setting and you could operate it from your chart, by example, my oven is actually 375 when the temp is set on 350. so when i need a 350 oven i look at my chart and set the temp control to 325.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I just purchases an oven thermometer, and oven is off by 40 degrees, which is why the locking mechanism keeps going off. I will replace thermostat. Looks like a do it yourself task. However, I think I might be confusing the part. There is a thermostat, and a sensor. Are these the same parts or the same part, just a different name.

sswong

Comment

Working...
      X
      =