Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jammed (I Think...) Garbage Disposal

I have a Disposall garbage disposal, which doesn't have a jack for an allen wrench on the bottom, that seems to be jammed. It hums when I turn it on. I have cleaned out the gunk from the blades area, but still won't turn. It doesn't seem to be jammed, but maybe there is something under one of the blades (although it doesn't appear that there is). I would like to know either (1) how to unjam it when it doesn't have a socket for the allen wrench underneath, or (2) how hard it is to install a new one? Any suggestions/comments?

You can use the end of a broom handle to try and get it unstuck. The following link will give you the details:

If you want to replace it, it's not hard to do, here's another link that'll show you how, although the new one you buy will also come with directions.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I gave that a shot, and it still didn't work. I sat there and ran the blades around in a counter-clockwise direction for about 15 minutes. They moved (a little) easier after doing so, but the thing still won't go - it's still humming and staying put.

I wish a had an allen wrench jack on the bottom - everyone else has such great luck with those!

Comment

You could still try and clean out the trap, it may be clogged up. Feeding a snake through may help, or try removing the trap from beneath the sink and clean it out. Here's another link that may help you out. What the heck did you put down it that it's so clogged. I usually throw all garbage in a bag and then just rinse the plates off in the sink and use the disposer to grind the rinsed stuff. They're not really made to chew up most things as we all would like. Bummer eh?

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

As to what went in there...I try to tell my fiance that you can't put certain things (like forks, plates, small forest creatures) down there, but I have a feeling one of the above made it in there anyhow.

Mine is not to reason why...

Thanks again!

Comment

Yeah, nothing in the trap; I disassembled the entire plumbing network under the sink to check for jams and found nothing other than a foul odor. I even took the piece of pipe running directly from the disposal unit off so that I could see into the motor, and no luck.

I guess it's off to the hardware store.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =