Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag range

I think I will have to replace a burner unit on my Maytag MGR5770 because the igniter produces a very weak spark which most of the time will not light. Actually no visible spark at all, but after some seconds the gas does sometimes ignite. All other igniters are fine.

MY QUESTION: The top does not seem to lift up; what does it take to access this burner module to replace it?

quote:Originally posted by SSN596
    Maytag MGR5770
    That is only part of a model number, did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number tag? That is the only reliable place the complete model number will be found.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

- Model Number Tag Search
    LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/parts/tagsearch.cgi

quote:the igniter produces a very weak spark
    Have you tried cleaning the spark electrode?

quote:The top does not seem to lift up; what does it take to access this burner module to replace it?
    I believe the burner heads need to be removed before the glass top will come off but if you want to replace the burner head itself, removing the top isn't necessary... but there is a special tool designed for it (see the following link).

- Maytag Range Burner Head Removal Tool
    LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=42

BTW. There is a repair manual available for the MGR5770... range models. You can see it at the following link:

- Maytag MGR5770 Service Manual
    LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=893398

JFYI

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you very much. The complete model number is MGR5770ADW . I thought the letters were not important, so I omitted from post. In searching for parts, it seems that the burner part differs depending on whether it is a "series 10" or "series 13" . My serial number starts with 13 so I assume that is the series?

It is not a glass top; just a sealed recessed metal top with heavy iron grates over the burners.

From the looks of the tool...sort of a strap wrench or oil filter wrench.... does the burner just unscrew? What about the electric connection to that igniter electrode?

I tried to clean the electrode with some fine emory and some alcohol. Even with the lights out, you cannot see a spark; but if I let it keep clicking, it will light in about 15 seconds, usually.

Thanks for the tip on the manual; I think I will order that because I am a nut for good tech. repair books, even though any more I don't do a lot of these jobs myself. I am usually willing to spring for a repairman, but this seemed like an easy job, so I feel now I am "committed"!

Comment

quote:The complete model number is MGR5770ADW . I thought the letters were not important
        Unless you were SURE that information was NOT required, it should have been supplied. It is better to provide too much information that not enough??

quote:My serial number starts with 13 so I assume that is the series?
        Correct. Although both possible burners are now replaced by the same one:

LINK > http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=405328

quote:From the looks of the tool... sort of a strap wrench or oil filter wrench... does the burner just unscrew?
        They're not 'threaded' as far as I know, they just have to be worked back and forth to unsnug them. They're just fairly difficult to get a good grip on.

quote:I tried to clean the electrode with some fine emory and some alcohol. Even with the lights out, you cannot see a spark;
        While that could be caused by the spark electrode at the burner, it could also be caused by a 'weak' spark module or even a grounded electrode wire.

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan: Your advice has been priceless! I checked one of the burners which still works and of course it turns about 30ยบ and lifts right out!. There is a red gasket under, and that is why the one I need to get out is probably just
          stuck. I will get it now.

I do know better than to short the model number. My apologies for that.

My plan is to order the part and the manual, just "because". The other 3 burners spark fine. Is it possible for something bad in the module to affect just one burner? The problem started after a spill and some cleaning. When I get the bad one out, it looks like I could swap the wires and confirm that way.

Again, thanks a million.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SSN596
            There is a red gasket under, and that is why the one I need to get out is probably just stuck.
            Could be. The replacement burner heads no longer need that gasket. Unfortunately, if just the gasket is needed, it is NLA (no longer available) and the whole burner head would have to be replaced with one of the redesigned ones.

quote:The other 3 burners spark fine. Is it possible for something bad in the module to affect just one burner?
            It depends on the design of the particular module used on your model, I'm not sure. Some models will spark at 2-burners at a time so if one 'circuit' was bad, it should affect each of those burners. Other spark models have a separate lead going to each burner where just one could act up.

Let us know how you make out.

quote:I do know better than to short the model number. My apologies for that.
            No problem. I had to tell someone else the same thing yesterday.

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I swapped burners with the front. The front sparks fine; the rear still weak, but better. I will try cleaning contacts etc. but it might point to the module. So I will still buy the book but hold off on ordering the burner until I sort this out. We still have matches!

Again, thanks very much for the help.

Comment

Could be that the wire to that ignitor is shorting to something else and the weak spark you hear is the sound of sparking under the top, then the ignitor will spark occasionally at the burner full strength and lite the burner. !!!!!!!CUT THE GAS OFF TO THE RANGE!!!!!! remove all four burner caps and leave the wires connected. Look for screws holding the top in place under the burner caps and remove if any, locate the clips that hold the top in place(between the top and range body, close to the corners) and push in on them and lift the top slowly. Turn that burner on and look for a spark somewhere else other than the burner cap. Do not touch that wire, if you see a spark wrap it good with black tape until you can get a new wire.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =