Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE refirg (uncool)!

Need some help as to what direction to go on this. It's a GE sidebyside, about 3 yrs old. Model: GSS25JFMC WW, Serial: FD244841.
    Apparently left the 'fridge side door ajar overnight. It's at 62 degrees right now. Made sure the coils were clean, vacuumed and blew what I could from everywhere I could. THe coil fan is running, but it doesn't sound like the compressor is. What' the next step? Is there something under the circuit panel on the back of the box that I can check? I saw a LOT of computer chips in there and quickly buttoned THAT back up!!! We're transferring the stuff to the older (pop) fridge for now. What do I check? T.I.A.

It is highly unlikely that leaving the door ajar caused any serious damage to the unit other than causing it to get too warm inside. There is a possibility that the evaporator fan caused the warm room air to go over the evaporator coil, which could cause an excessive amount of icing on the coil, but once the fridge is closed up again, a normal defrost cycle should be able to handle that problem.

As far as not hearing the compressor run, it may just be the design of the machine. I have a new GE upright in my kitchen and after you mentioned that you didnt hear the compressor run i began thinking, i had never noticed any real noise from my refrigerator either. Out of curiosity I opened my refrigerator door about ten minutes to insure the compressor was running, yet I never hear it start. When i placed my ear firmly against the cabinet wall, voila', i could hear it, but just to confirm i then pulled the refrigerator out and physically touched the high pressure line off the compressor. It was hot, as it should be, indicating that the compressor was running, but even with the back off and being right near the compressor it was difficult to hear the compressor running.

I would suggest closing it up an let it run 24 hours to see what it does before you begin tearing into it. (24 hours will allow enough time for 2 or3 defrost cycles to insure any excess ice is now off the coils)

Comment

** It is highly unlikely that leaving the door ajar caused any serious damage to the unit other than causing it to get too warm inside. **

Normally I'd agree except for the fact that is one of GE's electronically controlled fridges which have had more than their share of design problems. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some damage occurred to one of its components (although I'm not aware of anything specific it would result in).

** could cause an excessive amount of icing on the coil, but once the fridge is closed up again, a normal defrost cycle should be able to handle that problem. **

That may not be the case either, seeing as they design fridges these days with energy conservation in mind. Many GE fridge models only use a single defrost heater whereas older models used 2-3. Many techs find it necessary to install an older, double-set in place of the newer single ones to get adequate defrosting.

I would personally suggest *thoroughly* defrosting the fridge manually (ie. turning it off and leaving the doors open for 12-24 hours - putting towels down to catch any leakage) to ensure all frost accumulation has been removed then starting it up again.

** The coil fan is running, but it doesn't sound like the compressor is. **

The compressor should be running whenever the condenser fan is. It would be important to determine *for sure* one way or the other in order to be able to give any sort of further diagnostic guidance. If neither condenser fan nor compressor is running, the fridge may just be in a defrost cycle.

JMO

Dan O.

The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Comment

I forgot, leaving the doors open on that fridge design can also cause frost to build up in the fridge compartment air damper. That build up would NOT usually be correct by the defrost system.

PS. GE has problems with the air dampers used on their electronically controlled fridges like the OP's. The actual damper door was redesigned due to failures and is available in a repair kit as seen at the following link. Although its failure often results in freezing in the food compartment, it can fail the other way too.

- GE Arctica/Eterna/Profile Air Damper Kit
        LINK > http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=4&N=1055112

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Good info! Since we moved the stuff to the secondary 'fridge, I shut down the big one for about 3 hours. After turning it back on and it running for about an hour, it dropped to the low 50's, another hour and it was around 40 or so. It's running great now. My wife was asking how I could tell if that compressor was running, too. Tried to explain how it's the same way I can tell when the brakes make a squeeking noise, that not only whether it's front or rear, but whether it's right or left. I 'just-can-tell'. She shrugs with "It's a guy-thing". THis 'fridge is very quite, alright. But there's still an ever-so-slight hum that I can hear if I'm close enough. And that compressor was not running! After an hour or so of it being turned back on, I called her over to witness the difference in the sound. Hmmmmm.....must be a 'girl-thing'!!! I'm going to check into that repair/update kit. Thanks for the info.....

Comment

Call me old fashioned if you like but when it comes to refrigerations equipment in my opinion the key word is "KISS" (Keep it simple stupid).

By example, My dear lady just purchased a small apartment sized GE chest type freezer. She had been looking at one that had a digital temp display until I pointed out to her that the model sitting beside it in the showroom was essentially the same machine without the digital display, for $170 less money. She argued that she still wanted a remote sensing digital temperature display so I said okay. lets compromise, We will get the less expensive machine that has fewer high tech components to fail and i will install a digital temp display for you.

I popped into the Radio Shack store next door and bought a digital electronic indoor/outdoor thermometer for $19, stuck it on the front of the freezer with double sided tape and put the outdoor remote sensing element inside the freezer. Now if i can just talk her into letting me have the other $150 for something important like a new morse code key for my ham radio everything should be fine.

Comment

** It's running great now. **

Glad to hear it.

** bought a digital electronic indoor/outdoor thermometer for $19, stuck it on the front of the freezer with double sided tape **

Very good idea, you should patent it.

BTW. One refrigerator manufacturer had problems with one of their early electronic controls... it displayed the *real* temperature. When users opened the fridge or freezer and seen the temperature quickly rising in the digital display, they got VERY concerned. The "fix" was to redesign the control to display a maximum temperature rise of 1° per minute! So much for accuracy... but I guess you gotta please the customer?

JFYI

Dan O.

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Your mentioning that digital display problem reminds me of an incident I once had while working on a maintenance crew in a large motel.

I worked an odd shift from noon till 8pm. One day when i arrived at work the Engineer met me at the door and told me to hurry up to a guest room and see what the lady's problem with the AC was. He says, two of the other guys have already been up there but she still aint happy. I told her you are my AC man and i would have you fix it. Then he says,,I dont care what you have to do, just maker her happy so she will quite calling the front desk.

The hotel had a 250ton chiller and circulating hydronic cooling so there really wasnt much to the units in the room aside from a coil and a fan motor. When i arrived at the room i was met by a super billigerant old woman who told me she had already told the other guys to add freon, but they didnt do it. I said, no problem, i'll be right back. I then ran to my pickup, got my old freon tank with the air tank conversion kit on it and pumped it full of air. I went to the room, opened the cover on the hydronic unit and blew out the coil a bit with the air pressure. I then checked the thermostat and the room was a nice 72 deg. but the lady was still complaining it was too hot. I thought a moment then told the lady I think this thermostat is a bit out of calibration, so i preceeded to field calibrate the thermostat.

While doing that i got a silly idea. The thermostats we had were the old Honeywell 120v direct oblong type with the little mercury tube thermometer on the covers.

"What temperature would you like me to set it at", i asked? She says I keep mine at home at 68 to 70,,,72 is way to hot for me.

I then loosened the set screw that held the mercury tube in place and slide the tube down a bit till the mercury index was on 68degF. I turned to the Lady and said, "that was the problem, it seems to be coming down nicely now."

I then left and went about my other duties. An hour later i got a call on the radio to come to the engineers office. I went to the office fully expecting to end up with teeth marks on my wallet.

The engineer says, "What the He## did you do, that woman just called the front desk to inform them that you were the only man on the crew that knew his business and she was leaving a $50 tip for you at the desk."

I then told the engineer there was nothing i could to to the AC, the room was already at 72degF, which is the minimum the EPA permits in a public structure, so i recallibrated the thermometer down 4 deg.

After he got done laughing he said, you only have one problem, you didnt do the other 199 rooms, get going.

Comment

Great story, LazyPup! Thanks for the needed smile.......

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =