X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposal help.....please hurry//

[V]
    I have a problem with my disposal...

I heard a dripping sound and I went to the sink...

Few minutes later the water started to float over my kitchen...

what should I do??

Right now my sister blocked it with a bowl.

Please help.....

I would really need a bit more information to provide a difinitive answer but here are some basics to help you out in the mean time.

Step one, make sure the disposal is turned off, then locate the power cord and disconnect it while checking things out.

1. If you have a dishwasher, check the dishwasher drain line to see if it came loose. (The dishwasher drain hose attaches to a port that sticks out on the upper section of the disposal body.)

2. Check the drain connections to the disposal discharge port, it may have vibrated loose. If so, reattach the line and tighten the fitting.

3. Check the disposal to sink mount. The plumbers putty under the sink mount may have dried out and failed from vibration. If so, disaasemble the dispoal mount and replace the plumbers putty or apply a silicone sealer.

4. Check the upper part of the disposal body. Quite often when disposals get old the pot metal housings will corrode through. This is especially problamatic if chemical drain openers have been used in this drain. The only solution here is to replace the disposal.

5. Check the underside of the disposal motor. Most of them have a small hole called a "Weep hole" that is intended to drain any water that may leak past the motor shaft seal and get into the motor compartment. If you only see a drop or two of water at the weep hole it is indicating that the seal is leaking, but not real bad at this time. If you see water running out of that hole the seal has failed. While you can get a rebuild kit for some disposals, due to the cost of the kit and the amount of labor required to install it, in most instances it is more cost effective to replace the disposal.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =