Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal / Dishwasher

I am new and desperately need help. My husband replaced out our garbage disposal before he left traveling for his job. Since he has replaced it, the dishwasher fills up on the bottom (we are talking 3 rainbow vacuum containers full)with the dirty residue water and stays there, never drains. I have also noticed that the garbage disposal drains alot slower than what I think it should...compared to the old one. The lines are all connected, however, can't seem to figure it out. The dishwasher is an expensive Kenmore stainless steel quiet model, that came with the house, and has a cancel and drain function...which I have tried to no avail, and still the water remains. Someone please help. Thank you.[V]

jonesy

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

The water in your Dishwasher is because you do not have a "high loop" in the drain line! The drain from the DW should exit the DW and then travel up wards to the bottom of the counter top and then drop back down to the drain connection on the disposal. This will cure the problem with the DW. As for the slow drain on the sink? Well you could have a couple problems. IE: a clogged vent pipe, a build up of food waste.

Fix your drain line on the DW and then see how the garbage disposal drains then. If you still have troubles come back.

16x80

Comment

Thank you 16X80 for the quick response, however, I have a quick question for you. I believe we do have a "high loop". I can see that the line comes from the bottom of the counter top(from the DW)and down to the disposal. This line has not changed since the new disposal was put in last Sunday, so why all of a sudden would the dishwasher start holding the water? The only thing I can logically think of, not paying a whole lot of attention to the old set up, is that there is now slack in that drain line, where it hangs down a bit and then connects with the disposal. Do you think I need to cut the line to fit so to speak to get the draw needed?

Comment

I just re-read your post, I think I got it!

Remove the drain line from the disposal unit and take a long blade screw driver and insert it in to the drain opening on the disposal. If it stops within a few inches he has not removed the drain plug from the disposal unit. You can then use a hammer and the same screw driver and knock the plug out. It will fall into the disposal which you will have to get it out of that too.

If the screw driver goes more than a few inches and you can see it thru the top opening then you will need to install a siphon break which you can purchase at your local hardware store.

Let me know, I belive you will find the plug.

16x80

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion...I am sure I will find the plug as well!! I will let you know how it all turns out tomorrow. Thank you, again.

Comment

16X80, I found the plug and knocked it out! I can't even thank you enough. I know it must seem like a very simple solution in your eyes, however, for a mom playing single parent right now, you saved me hours of headache. Not only that but you really boosted my self esteem, being able to fix something myself . Thank you again, I greatly appreciate your help!!

Comment

Congrats! It makes me smile when I get compliments like yours, Thank you!

It actually very common when a do it yourselfer forgets that part. I have even forgotten it before early on in my career. As by my first reply you can see I didn't even mention it until I had re-read your post.

16x80

Even Veterans of the trade sometimes over look the simple stuff!

Comment

I just recently bought a house and my home inspector riased the issue of getting a loop or airgap put on the dishwasher. It looks to me like that has been done, but like jonesy I am still getting water everywhere. The water drains from the DW and does travel up to the underside of the sink, but it seems to be coming out of the overflow valve. Do I need a new airgap or could it be something stuck in the pipes? Could my disposal also need the plug knocked out? I am at my wits end and can't use my DW (which I really miss).

mroche

Comment

Maureen,

Welcome to the forum. The only why to tell is to follow 16x80's instructions and check...

Brad suggested... Remove the drain line from the disposal unit and take a long blade screw driver and insert it in to the drain opening on the disposal. If it stops within a few inches he has not removed the drain plug from the disposal unit. You can then use a hammer and the same screw driver and knock the plug out. It will fall into the disposal which you will have to get it out of that too.

If the screw driver goes more than a few inches and you can see it thru the top opening then you will need to install a siphon break which you can purchase at your local hardware store.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
                  'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =