Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Washer won't progress to next cycle

My almost four-year-old Kenmore 70 series washer, model number 22722101, has quit progressing to the next cycle, and it won't do anything but agitate. This happened yesterday, on its forth load of the day. It goes through the wash cycle fine, but then does nothing. I can manually switch it on to the rinse cycle, but it doesn't drain & refill; all it does is agitate more. Any suggestions? My husband is no appliance repairman, but he's pretty handy as a parts replacer. Ideas as to where to start would be highly appreciated!

** Kenmore 70 series washer, model number 22722101 **

The complete model number looks to be 110.22722101 making it a Whirlpool built machine.

** It goes through the wash cycle fine, but then [stops at the drain/spin cycle and] does nothing **

That can be caused by a problem in the lid switch (see the following link) or the lid switch's actuator (or just the lid being open).

LINK > Kenmore 110.22722101 Washer Lid Switch

The lid switch is a safety precaution to make sure the washer won't spin (or drain as that happens in the same cycle) with the lid open... or if the washer 'thinks' it is.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

THANK YOU! That's exactly what the problem is, and he's got it rigged up so that it'll work until we get the part. These things are really easy to diagnose when someone tells you what to look for!

Comment

I need to replace the switch as well. How do I get the top off? I looked at the exploded view for some time and just cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks.

/tg

Comment

in each of the front corners is a spring clip. in each of the rear corners is a spring clip fastened with a 5/16" screw. remove the rear clips and the front should slide enough forward so the front clips release.

Comment

Make/Model number??

Originally posted by TimGrz
            I need to replace the switch as well.
            You've checked it and found it to be defective?

How do I get the top off?
            That will depend on the make and exact model number of washer is question. On the OP's washer design the washer top does not come off, the whole cabinet (with top still mounted) is removed for service of internal components.

If you post the brand name and exact model number of the washer in question, we can look it up to see if that is applicable to yours as well.

LINK > Sticky: Please include Make and Model # in post

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
              You've checked it and found it to be defective?
              I found pieces of the switch, and it broke off of whatever mount that holds it to the washer. If I stick my hand up under the lip I can press the, loose, button and the washer will then start it's spin. So I know it to be the "the door's ajar" button.

That will depend on the make and exact model number of washer is question. On the OP's washer design the washer top does not come off, the whole cabinet (with top still mounted) is removed for service of internal components.

If you post the brand name and exact model number of the washer in question, we can look it up to see if that is applicable to yours as well.

LINK > Sticky: Please include Make and Model # in Post

JMO

Dan O.
              I'm not new to forums, and know that proper forum etiquette is to do a search first before asking the same old question.

My model is 110.22722101 as was posted in this thread.

Thanks HeyZee518. What do you mean "...front corners is a spring clip. in each of the rear corners is a spring clip fastened with a 5/16" screw"

Can you define front and rear corners? I saw that there are some clips that are being held on with a screw that are up top at the sides that are directly behind the control panel. Would those be the front or rear? Where are the others?

Thanks all!

/tg

P.S. The
              1. You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more.
              rule is kind of pain in the rump when you are quoting people that have links in them.

Comment

I know its a pain but thems one of the quirks of the forum software. from what Troy pays for the use of the forum, I wouldn't complain too much

Comment

Top does NOT come off

** I found pieces of the switch **

That would likely do it. If the machine goes off balance the plastic switch housing can easily get damaged. They can also break just from wear and tear.

** model is 110.22722101 **

That is a direct drive washer design and the top does not come off. The whole cabinet needs to be removed (or at least tilted forward) to access most internal components.

LINK > Direct Drive Washer Lid Switch Procedures

LINK > Kenmore 110.22722101 Washer Lid Switch

** as was posted in this thread. **

We don't know unless you say. People often post to other's messages without having the exact same product. There are hundreds if not thousands of different Kenmore washer models out there. The odds are fairly slim that yours would be the exact same model as someone else who's posted here and not just the same marketing name ("70 Series") which is next to meaningless unfortunately.

JMO

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Just wanted to thank all of you for the help and links that were provided.

Sorry I came off as a putz, didn't mean to be one.

I got the part two days after I ordered it, and three days earlier than I expected it to get here. I put off doing it until the weekend because even though the directions seemed straight forward enough I wanted to make sure I had enough time in case the "%@#&!!!" factor kicked in.

It was all for not. I wish I would have done it the night I got the part in. It was very easy and took less than an hour including vacuuming and cleaning all the areas that had eight years of gunk accumulated.

The one extra thing I did is the screws that hold the console to the main unit...

ww w.the-appliance-clinic.com/images/consolescrew.jpg

...were about the cheapest third world screws money could buy. Even though they came out easy enough the head was getting sloppy with every turn. So I went to my many jars of fasteners and found a couple quality screws to replace them with to make sure that the next time I need to work on it I can get them out easy.

I will have owned these units for eight years this November. The dryer had a problem that was covered under the standard warranty and this washer door switch was the only other issue. Not bad. And I am glad I did not waste my money on the extended warranty.

Thanks again!

/tg
                    Last edited by TimGrz; 08-24-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Fixed!

Glad to hear you were able to replace it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =