Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer will not drain, need help on opening cabinet

I have a Whirlpool washing machine model GSQ9611KQ2 I bought from Sears in 2001. It is not fully draining and makes a noise during the spinning cycle. I did some research and found that I should check the belt, hose, pump filter. I have unplugged the machine and shut-off the water. I think the pump may be clogged with a coin or sock but I am having difficulty opening the cabinet on the machine to access the inside of the machine. Can someone explain how to unhook the white plastic piece (harness?) once I have unscrewed and partially removed the top control panel?

Thanks for your help!

Whirlpool 'direct drive' washer

Originally posted by brig
    Whirlpool washing machine model GSQ9611KQ2. Can someone explain how to unhook the white plastic piece (harness?)
    It unplugs. There may be tabs on two sides of the connector that need to be squeezed in at the same time but it often just comes apart by wriggling back and forth... while applying upward force.

It is not fully draining and makes a noise during the spinning cycle. I did some research and found that I should check the belt
    Your washer is Whirlpool's 'direct drive' washer design, it has no 'belt'.

If you need one, Whirlpool has a good DIY repair manual for their direct drive washers:

LINK > Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Roper/Kenmore 'Direct Drive' Washer Repair Manual

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,
      Thanks for the help. I have now removed the part. Earlier I did not realize it was two pieces connected together and I was trying to pull the whole part out. I checked the two hoses that connect to the pump and I did not see any clog (only one pin size hole). The impeller on the pump squeaks when I turn it and I believe that was the same noise I heard last time I used the machine. Is there a way to open the pump up and check if anything is stuck inside? Or is it safe to assume the pump needs to be replaced and if so, can the pump be easily removed, or should I call a professional?

Thanks,
      Brig

Comment

Originally posted by brig
        Is there a way to open the pump up and check if anything is stuck inside?
        Not usually. The pumps (see the following link) are sealed together during the manufacturing process. About the only way to check them for obstructions or impeller wear is though the holes the hoses attach to.

LINK > Whirlpool GSQ9611KQ2 Pump

Or is it safe to assume the pump needs to be replaced
        There may just be something in it but otherwise if it's making noise, it could possibly be defective.

can the pump be easily removed
        The pump is designed to just be held onto the motor with clips but the pump can get seized onto the motor's shaft (from rust or being melted slightly with motor heat) and need to be pried off with a large screwdriver, etc. or sometimes smashed/cut off and just replaced.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

I am having a similar problem, amongst many!

Its bad enough that its raining, and pouring at that . . . but my toilets won't flush either. Can someone help?

Our home is 9-years old. There are only 2 of us; however, we entertain alot! Our septic tank has been pumped out 3 times, including 2 months ago when a local Septic Company recently had to pump the septic tank to ensure that the pump wasn't failing, but they didn't find anything wrong with the pump or the water heater (which we also had them checked).

Other Plumbing/Water Heater Symptoms:
          -Toilets won't flush during heavy rains
          -Spin cycle doesn't drain all the water from our new washer (sometimes)

What could be the problems - I mean solutions to this mounting mess?? And if the plumber/septic folks couldn't help and Mr. Appliance couldn't find a problem either, then who can??
          Last edited by SpiceLand; 02-26-2006, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Wrong forum

Originally posted by SpiceLand
            I am having a similar problem, amongst many!
            What you described doesn't really have anything to do with a clothes washing machine (which this message is about) or the washer pump as near as I can tell. Maybe you would get more helpful answers if you started a new message of your own in the Plumbing Forum:

LINK > Plumbing Forum

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =