Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove knob wont turn off

Hi all!

I have a GE Hotpoint electric stove that is probably a good deal old, although I'm not exactly sure how old. (Going by when this place was built, I'd say it's from 1985). Anyway the front right burner doesn't seem to ever turn off. You can turn the knob to off, but the light that tells you the burner is on stays on and the burner itself stays warm.

While I can't prove it, I think when the knob is in the off position it doesn't pop out all the way (push and turn type knob) but any attempt I've made to pull it out more doesn't seem to work.

The burners do not come out and are the flip up type. There's also no way for me to lift the top of the stove to get under the burner (I know some of the newer stoves have that)

Right now I have the stove turned off at the circuit breaker.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I really think the problem is the knob, not the burner.

Oh and I don't have the model number of the stove because I'm not the one who bought it. Can someone tell me where I would find this on the stove?

Comment

Model number?

Originally posted by andromeda
      I don't have the model number of the stove because I'm not the one who bought it.
      They wouldn't likely know it either but there is a tag right on the appliance with that information.

Can someone tell me where I would find this on the stove?
      Yes, the very first message in the forum had a link to where to find the model and serial number identification tag:

Link to First Forum Message > Please include Make and Model # in post

the front right burner doesn't seem to ever turn off. You can turn the knob to off, but the light that tells you the burner is on stays on and the burner itself stays warm.
      That could be caused by a problem in that element's switch but could also possibly be a short in its wiring.

when the knob is in the off position it doesn't pop out all the way
      That might be a good sign of a problem in the switch.

The burners do not come out and are the flip up type.
      Even 'flip up' elements can be removed from the range. On some older GE models, they are screwed to the stove top at the element's hinge.

There's also no way for me to lift the top of the stove to get under the burner
      No, you wouldn't normally need to do that just for an element, switch or even wiring problem on a coil-element range.

I really think the problem is the knob, not the burner.
      If anywhere it would be in the switch (behind the knob), not the knob itself (which is a separate part).

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O.
        They wouldn't likely know it either but there is a tag right on the appliance with that information.Yes, the very first message in the forum had a link to where to find the model and serial number identification tag: Link to First Forum Message > Please include Make and Model # in post
        I saw that post, but it said it was "on the front of the appliance" which is what confused me because mine wasn't. Turns out it was hidden inside the oven. (Figures I find this after I summoned herculean strength to pull the stove out from the wall )

Model # R B734 0J2AD

If anywhere it would be in the switch (behind the knob), not the knob itself (which is a separate part).
        Oh, sorry about that. I didn't realize they were considered two seperate parts. I've taken the actual knob (the plastic dial part) off, and believe it is the switch behind the knob.

Comment

Turns out [the model number tag] was hidden inside the oven.
          Inside the oven cavity (where you would place food to cook)?

I've taken the knob off, and believe it is the switch behind the knob.
          By your problem descriptions, I think that is most likely. You can see the replacement element switch for your model range at the following link:

LINK > Hotpoint RB7340J2AD Element Switch

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          =D~~~~~~

Comment

Inside the oven cavity (where you would place food to cook)?
            Yep. Last place I thought to look.

Is there a diagram or instructions somewhere on how to install the replacement part? It doesn't look as if it would be all that complicated, but I've never done this before.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by andromeda
              Is there a diagram or instructions somewhere on how to install the replacement part?
              Not that I'm aware of although the general procedure would likely be covered in GE's Step-by-Step Range Repair Manual (see the following link).

LINK > GE/Hotpoint Range Repair Manual

Yep, [inside the oven cavity].
              It might be a good idea to record that information elsewhere. Who knows how long it will remain legible there?

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com
              =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =