X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidaire Refrigerator problem

Frigidaire refrigerator model number FRT21LRG, about 5 years old

Freezer on top

The fridge started making an occasional humming noise about a week ago. At first I thought it was just something vibrating, but then it started to do it more often. On Monday it started to do it quite a bit, and I noticed the freezer was thawing out. Pulled the fridge out from the wall and noticed the humming sound was coming from the compressor. It will hum for about 5-10 seconds, and then it's quite for about a minute...then hums again for 5-10 seconds... Unplugged the fridge for an hour, and plugged it back in. All was fine for the next 12 hours or so, then it started to make an occasional humming sound again. Now I am having to unplug the fridge every 6 hours or so. Father in law says it's the defrost timer...I think the compressor is going bad. If it's the defrost timer...wouldn't it be stuck in defrost mode or non defrost mode..i.e. the compressor would either be on or off the whole time.
    I think the defrost timer is turning the compressor off every six hours, like it should, and then the compressor is not able to come back on like it should. Only after cooling down for an hour is the compressor able to come back on.

Any ideas?

Compressor not starting

Frigidaire refrigerator model number FRT21LRG
    That appears to only be part of a model number, did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag? If not, you can find tips on where to located that tag at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

I noticed the freezer was thawing out. Pulled the fridge out from the wall and noticed the humming sound was coming from the compressor. It will hum for about 5-10 seconds, and then it's quite for about a minute...then hums again for 5-10 seconds... Unplugged the fridge for an hour, and plugged it back in. All was fine for the next 12 hours or so, then it started to make an occasional humming sound again. Now I am having to unplug the fridge every 6 hours or so.
    It sounds like the compressor isn't starting properly causing it to heat up in the process. That could be caused by a defective compressor starting relay and/or overload protector or a defective compressor itself.

Father in law says it's the defrost timer
    A defective defrost timer would not usually cause your symptoms.

If it's the defrost timer...wouldn't it be stuck in defrost mode or non defrost mode..i.e. the compressor would either be on or off the whole time.
    Not necessarily. Defrost timers can fail in a number of different ways besides just sticking on one spot. But as I said, I doubt it would cause your symptoms.

BTW. Many newer fridges no longer use a mechanical defrost timer but instead use an electronic control (ADC - see the following link). Without having your fridge's complete model number, we can't tell which is the case with yours.

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

I think the compressor is going bad.
    That may be a possibility. If the fridge is less than 5-years old, the compressor (possibly not labour though) should be covered by a 'sealed system' warranty - but not the relay or overload if only they are the problem. Some Frigidaire fridge models had up to a 10-year sealed refrigeration system warranty (which includes the compressor). Check your warranty papers and exact date of sale if a defective compressor is suspect.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

The complete model number is FRT21LRGW9

Comment

Compressor relay?

Originally posted by fsds123
        The complete model number is FRT21LRGW9
        Well that model does not use the problematic compressor relay I was expecting it would but the relay it does use (see the following link) could still be the problem. If that's not it, I would say the compressor may be on its way out.

LINK > Frigidaire FRT21LRGW9 Compressor Relay

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

How do I test it?

Comment

Originally posted by fsds123
            How do I test it?
            It is not possible to test a compressor relay in any meaningful way, other then maybe being totally open and not allowing the compressor to run at all. A service technician would check the compressor's amperage draw while running and if found to be within specifications, would just assume the relay was the problem. If the running amperage was excessive, the compressor would likely be determined to be the problem.

If you wanted to try and repair the fridge yourself rather than calling in a Frigidaire *factory authorized* service depot (whom is the only one that could replace the compressor under warranty - see the following link), trying a new relay first might be the only way to find out for sure.

LINK > Limited Appliance Warranties

BTW. Installing any relay besides the one Frigidaire specifies for the model could void any warranty remaining on the compressor.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =