Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore AC problems

greetings,

i have a Kenmore 10,000 btu ac window unit my best friend gave me. it's only about 2yrs old. he bought it new, used it one season, then it quit on him. it has digital controls w/remote, model# 25370106000, ser.#JK01573211.

everything lights up, but when you press a button on either the unit or the remote, all you hear is a click. the motor does not turn on.

could there be a blown fuse? fusible link?

help!!

Originally posted by blue strat
    everything lights up, but when you press a button on either the unit or the remote, all you hear is a click. the motor does not turn on.
    How about the compressor?

could there be a blown fuse? fusible link?
    There are not usually any fuses in an air conditioner and if the house fuse for it had blown, it wouldn't be doing anything at all.

Someone is likely going to need to systematically check the unit out to try to find the problem. If neither the fan motor nor compressor work, there doesn't look to be too many components in common with both of them besides the electronic control (see the following link). It may be defective and need to be replaced.

LINK > Kenmore 253.70106000 Electronic Control

Why was the A/C given to you in the first place?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Comment

my friend said it quit after a big storm. possibly a lightning strike. everything lights up, but no fan/compressor motor. there is a low single click sound when a button on the controls or remote is pressed. like the signal/current isn't getting to the fan/compressor motor to turn it on.

Comment

my friend said it quit after a big storm.
        No doubt.

Power surges and outages often play havoc with the electronic controls used in appliances. I would bet that that is likely the problem and that the control likely needs to be replaced.

With the price of the replacement part (see the link above), no wonder they gave it away rather than repair it. It's too bad manufactures are going to such electronic controls (and consumers asking for such features). When they fail, it is often a coin flip whether to repair or just replace the appliance.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

**With the price of the replacement part, no wonder they gave it away rather than repair it.**

yes, especially since they payed over $300 for it new, but they didn't have it looked at or anything. just said F it, and bought a new one and said i could have it. the same basic unit still goes for over $300 at sears after taxes, so if it just the control unit, for me it wouldn't be so bad to purchase. it's still like brand new. they take care of everything they have, to a T.

now if i knew for sure that's what it was.

Comment

the same basic unit still goes for over $300 at sears after taxes, so if it just the control unit, for me it wouldn't be so bad to purchase.
            True.

now if i knew for sure that's what it was...
            Like I said, there doesn't look to be too much else in the wiring which could be responsible but check the appliance's wiring diagram.

The company I linked to previously does have a very lenient return policy and advertises "Return Any Part". If you purchased the replacement part from them and it turned out not the be the cause, you might even be able to return it to them (which is very uncommon in the appliance industry - see the following link).

LINK > Repair Parts: Don't be surprised!

JFYI

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            =D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =