Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor testing

Capacitor on Kenmore washer at motor, using Lazy Pups test of 9/05/04 I get a reading off the scale then its lowers to 0 is this a shorted unit or good? The meter go's of the chart not to the middle as per Lazy Pup test.
    Thanks

If the needle does not move or if it goes all the way upscale and stays the capacitor is bad and needs replacing.

If the needle goes upscale, regardless of how high, then immediately starts moving back down like the windshield wipers on a car, the capacitor is good.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup
      If the needle does not move or if it goes all the way upscale and stays the capacitor is bad and needs replacing.

If the needle goes upscale, regardless of how high, then immediately starts moving back down like the windshield wipers on a car, the capacitor is good.

My washing machine just stops and it starts again after I reset the dial and pull it out again, after waiting a while. It was, you would reset it and it would complete the wash, now in a matter of seconds it stops and will not start again for sometime and just stop again.
      Thanks

Comment

Lazy Pup/ capacitor

Originally posted by Waynen

My washing machine just stops and it starts again after I reset the dial and pull it out again, after waiting a while. It was, you would reset it and it would complete the wash, now in a matter of seconds it stops and will not start again for sometime and just stop again.
        Thanks
        I feel as if I am not getting posted ? but I am new here, got hooked with Lazy Pup capacitator post. But it must be someting other than motor/capacitator?

Comment

I feel as if I am not getting posted ?
          I see two messages you've posted here. Did you post more??

My washing machine just stops and it starts again ... after waiting a while.
          That might be caused by the motor overheating and cutting out on its internal overload protector.

I have no idea what would cause that without knowing the brand of washer in question, its exact model number and which setting(s) the failure occurs on. If you need further assistance, please post that information.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Hi Dan! My washer is a Kenmore 110 --92583100 to be exact. The setting does not matter it happens in wash or spin it just stop's,the heavy dutie setting has not worked for a while it would not run on that setting yet it would run on the normal setting.

Comment

The setting does not matter it happens in wash or spin
              That could indicate a problem in the motor itself although I have heard of some cases of timers having bad contacts and energizing several motor windings at the same time causing the motor to overheat too.

LINK > Kenmore 110.92583100 Washer Motor
              LINK > 110.92583100 Washer Timer

I'm afraid some actual testing of the washer will likely be required to determine the cause in your case.

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Seeking Lazy Pup!

Dan I have meterd the motor and I got a reading on all colors to white( there are two white ?) I meterd the capacitor and it looks good to. Maybe time to look to control as you said? ? where to start ?
                Thanks
                P.S. I am from Toronto

Comment

I have meterd the motor and I got a reading on all colors to white
                  What kind of readings? A short (no resistance) would be bad.

Maybe time to look to control as you said?
                  Maybe but unless you're getting the right readings for the motor, I wouldn't suggest you rule it out just yet.

where to start ?
                  If you're unfamiliar working on washers and want to try to repair it yourself, you might want to consider getting a repair manual for it? Being that your washer is a Whirlpool built 'direct drive' model, the repair manual shown at the following link should describe most common tests and repairs.

LINK > Whirlpool/Kenmore 'Direct Drive' Washer Repair Manual

JMO

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Wash action switch

How do you check this thing out?

Comment

How do you check this thing out?
                      What thing? The motor??

Testing the motor windings for resistance can yield some information. The exact resistance they should be should be listed in the appliance's wiring diagram but if any were totally open (infinite resistance) or shorted (zero resistance) it would likely mean the motor may be defective.

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It would be very difficult to provide a step by step diagnostic because, while almost all washers perform the same functions, the methods used to control the functions can vary greatly from one model to another.

In regard to your question about two white (common) wires on the motor. Most direct drive washing machines use a reversing motor, rotating one direction for washing and the opposite direction for spin and pump out thus the motors must have both a forward and reverse winding. In order to select which direction the motor will rotate they can either have individual power wires to the separate windings or they may have one power wire and select separate commons. The latter configuration is often used because it then only requires one start winding and one start relay.

As DanO has already pointed out, just getting a resistance reading is not a guarantee that the motor winding is good. The winding could have an internal short part way through the winding, in which case it would show a small resistance but not indictate the problem.

On the other hand, your problem may not even be in the motor. Washing machines have a number of functions that must be performed before the motor can run, by example, in the wash cycle the water fill level diaphram switch must be closed before the time can advance from fill to run. In the spin cycle the door switch must be closed before the motor can start.

The timer itself is a very complex set of cams and switches and is generally the weakest link in the series of events.

Somewhere inside your washer you should be able to find a manufacturers wiring schematic and timer sequence chart. By locating the point of failure on the time sequence chart you can then trace the wiring for that portion of the cycle.

Comment

Thank YOU

Replaced, wash action switch, name per wiring diagram,machine running fine in both low and high speed .
                          Thanks Dan for your input you were only one to see the possible problem thanks again.
                          Wayne

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =