Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchenaid refrigerator ice maker problem

I have an Kitchenaid side by side refrigerator with an ice maker problem. We purchased this unit about 13 months ago and have been happy with it until a day or two ago. My wife notice a strange noise and then it quit making ice. I cleaned the trey and made sure the water supply line was ok. I would appreciate any advise on this.

Gary T

More information...

Originally posted by nonglex
    Kitchenaid side by side refrigerator
    Please post full model number off the refrigerator so we can look up what design of fridge you're dealing with. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked at the bottom of the page.

My wife notice a strange noise and then it quit making ice.
    What sort of strange noise and from where??

You can see some common places for sounds to occur at the following link:

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

hi Dan,

the model no. is KSRL25RSS00

its actually still making ice but not as fast as it used to. I cleaned the ice tray last night to see how much ice it'll make and turned out I got just little bit of ice in the ice tray. The strange noise that i've heard is a real loud noise from the back of the refrigerator ( i think ). It's not an usual noise that it normally makes.

Comment

Symptoms

I got just little bit of ice in the ice tray.
        So are you saying the icemaker's ice mold isn't filling up full with water resulting in smaller than normal cubes?? Or maybe it only harvested (dumped) one set of ~8 cubes out of the icemaker?

Please elaborate on your problem symptoms.

The strange noise that i've heard is a real loud noise from the back of the refrigerator ( i think ). It's not an usual noise that it normally makes.
        There are several things in the back which could make noises. Has anyone inspected the area, maybe something fell behind it or a mouse got caught in the condenser fan?

There are lots of possibilities but if the appliance is still functioning and nothing is visible and the sound's origin can not be pinpointed, you may just have to keep your eye out.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Model number...

the model no. is KSRL25RSS00
          BTW. I can find no listing for such a model number. It looks like you're missing at least one digit (eg. KSRL25_RSS00) or possibly more. Can you please double check it?

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

sorry, it's KSRL25FRSS00

I meant I got just a little bit of a normal size cube ices.

Comment

Temperature?

I got just a [few] normal size cube ices.
              If the freezer is not cold enough, the icemaker will not be able to make as much ice. The freezer temperature should be around 0°F and -5°F. What temperature is yours at?

You can read about possibilities for cooling problems at the following link.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

With an otherwise properly functioning refrigerator, checking/cleaning the condenser would likely be on of the first things that should be done.

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan, my husband noticed the frost build up around the condenser area. He took the cover off and will let it thaw out, hope this will fix the problem.

Comment

Defrost problem?

my husband noticed the frost build up around the condenser area.
                  The condenser is the hot part of a refrigeration system, it is unlikely any frost would form there. If the evaporator (cooling) coil in the freezer was excessively frosted, you may have a defrost system problem.

He took the cover off and will let it thaw out, hope this will fix the problem.
                  If the unit has a defrost system problem, just defrosting it manually will not last... for long. It might work Ok for a week or so afterwards (depending on ambient conditions) but the symptoms will return if the problem in that system is not found and corrected.

You can read about how the defrost system is suppose to function on a frost-free refrigerator at the following link:

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

JFYI

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I defrosted the freezer and it is cooling better. However, my original problem of ice production continues. It made one load of ice and quit. This thing is really driving me crazy!

Comment

I defrosted the freezer and it is cooling better.
                      Which is exactly what temperature?

Was the frosting uniform across the whole evaporator surface?

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

it's -5 degree F.

The frost was on the bottom 2/3 of the unit.

Comment

Possible refrigeration system problem

The frost was on the bottom 2/3 of the [evaporator].
                          That's usually the sign of a refrigeration system (aka serious) problem as is described at the last link I supplied about how the defrost system works.

It's probably time to call in a professional.

JMO

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =