Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappan Stove - Short Somewhere???

I have a 1996 Tappan TEC8X2XCW1.
    I had used it earlier this evening to boil some water.
    Turned it off, and went into the living room.
    About 20 minutes later I heard a loud "POP" from the kitchen.
    Went in, couldn't find anything wrong, but recognized the "popping" sound I'd heard so I started testing appliances. The stove wouldn't come on.
    I checked the breakers, and saw it had flipped.
    I cleaned the stove carefully, looked for any frayed wires.
    Reset the breaker. Then tried turning on the front right burner.
    There was another loud "Pop" and the stove shut off again.
    I took it down, checked the connections and wires, cleaned everything carefully. Put it back together. Reset it again. Tried the right rear, same results.

I have no idea where to begin to look for the source of this problem, but I am terrified that if I call out a professional I'll pay $100 for a service call to have them replace a $15 part.

Any suggestions?

Disconnect the range at the plug in the back and try the breaker again. If it pops off then problem is in the line feeding the range, or the breaker has been excercized too many times and has just weakened. If it stays on, then you'll need an analog meter to check out your range's electrical circuits. Do your top burners come out, out of a plug and socket? or are they hard wired into the range's wiring? If they come out, pull all the burners and plug in the pigtail and try each burner knob. If one knob turned all they way to HOT - on pops the breaker, chances are the circuit that feeds this one is shorting out. If they all pop the breaker then I'd look into the main line feeding all the controls. there should be a schematic somewhere on the range.

Comment

Element

Originally posted by TexasSky

Reset the breaker. Then tried turning on the front right burner. There was another loud "Pop" and the stove shut off again.
      None of the other elements cause it to occur??

I have no idea where to begin to look for the source of this problem
      If it is only the same element, checking it for a short to ground (see the following link) would likely be a first step.

LINK > How do I test an electric stove element?

I am terrified that if I call out a professional I'll pay $100 for a service call to have them replace a $15 part.
      But you wouldn't mind paying someone $15 to replace a $100 part? The end cost is the same.

There is a lot involved in someone driving to your home to perform service. You can read about some of the major expenses at the following link:

LINK > The Cost of Home Service

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =