Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Dryer 90 series Electric, explosion at start up

So the other day I started my dryer and it made a loud pop and a flash of light from what looked like the lower right side. After it did it once it seemed to work fine for about 5 days of normal use. Then last night it did it again, but the same thing, works fine now. I really don't have a clue what it could be, I figure that I would ask here before I go tearing into it. Likely I will take the back of later today and see if anything looksobvious, maybe shop-vac the lint out (if there is any).

If anyone has ideas on what it could be let me know.

Thanks
    Deanq4

Disconnect appliance!

I have no idea what would cause your symptoms without actually looking into it. Maybe a flash fire from a lint accumulation?

In any case, I STRONGLY suggest you discontinue use and disconnect the appliance from power until the problem cause can be looked into. That probably should have been done at the very first sign. Dryers are a very real cause of many, many house fires!

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks

Well after figuring out that I can just remove the front plate, I was cleaning it out with a vac and found a wire connector that was loose and burnt. I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and get a piece of high temp wire and a connector that is high temp too. Thanks for the advice, I know there was little you could do without seeing it.

Thanks
      Deanq4

Comment

** found a wire connector that was loose and burnt. **

Glad to hear it. Was it attached to something and did that something have any signs of arcing/burning as well? Often when one fails, it causes a problem in the other. Just replacing one often doesn't correct the problem... for long.

** I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and get a piece of high temp wire and a connector that is high temp too. **

You'd likely be better off taking the original to a good appliance parts supplier. They can usually make up a whole new wire and install appropriate connectors if the original wire can not just be cut back a couple of inches and a new connector installed onto it.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the rip, It looks like I have enough room to cut it and redo the tip. I lucked out and it only arched against a screw and a peice of the vent housing. It didn't hit any wires.

It was the two blue wire under the tub. Not sure what they are for, but I had to guess which one went were since they are the same (and appear to be attached to the same post on the other end) I don't think it will matter. Only one was damaged, but both were knocked off. I will ask at the hardware store for the proper connecter and try that first. If it blows up.... well I have insurance for a reason

Comment

Wire connectors

Originally posted by Deanq4

I lucked out and it only arched against a screw and a piece of the vent housing.
            Good.

I will ask at the hardware store for the proper connector and try that first.
            The proper connectors will also require the proper tool (see the following link) to install them. If not attached adequately (or attached onto a burnt section of the wire), they will burn off eventually. Do you have a terminal crimping tool?

LINK > Using crimp-on connectors

Do the job once and do it right!

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I have a crimping tool (thanks for looking out for me) I got a high temp connector for a whole quarter at the local appliance shop. He said if it did not work right (or I had issues) to bring in the wire and then could remake it. I will try this first since it will not require me pulling everything apart to get the wires out

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

well all seemed to go well. It works now, smells funny because I kicked up some lint and that is burning a little. I think it will be ok. will have to watch it for the next few loads and see, but for now it seems to be ok.

Thanks for all the help Dan O

Deanq4

Comment

The terminations are nickel silver and are high heat resistant. A Thomas Betts crimper works best using the back nest.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =