Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mliebs8

at least I know what's wrong with it now.
    That is not a certainty until actually diagnosed but it is a pretty good possibility if your fridge is one of GE's electronically controlled models.

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience. I have a ~ 3.5yr old GE side by side fridge model # GSS25JPFJ that developed the infamous droning / howling noise coming from the evaporator fan. I could stand it no more! After reading this and other forums I called GE to see if they could help. I finally got routed to the GE Customer Relations department and described the problem. I asked about a warranty extension on the main control board & after being placed on hold a couple of times, I was told that I was eligible for a out of warranty repair (labor & parts). The GE repair guy came out, replaced the board and we've had no problems since. My wife said he spent more time looking for the part in his van than it took him to actually install it. The fridge is back to making its original noises!

You can reach GE Customer Relations at 800-386-1215. Worse case is they say no & you are out 5-10minutes of time.

YMMV. Good luck!

Comment

GE Built-In Refrigerator with Howling Evaporator Fan

Model PSB42LSRBBV is < 1 year old and has developed a howling sound in the freezer compartment. The evaporator fan seemed to be the culprit but maybe it's being caused by something else?

The fan has been replaced by GE, but the noise persists. We have a new motherboard and some other transformer-looking component that will be delivered soon. Based on reading this thread I think this may fix it, but the GE tech doesn't think it will...

Does the motherboard problems described in this thread extend to the newer built in GE models. I think the unit is actually manufactured by Samsung, or at least some components are.

Really could use some advice and ammo to take this up with GE before my warranty expires. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by buckleyg

Does the motherboard problems described in this thread extend to the newer built in GE models.
          I'm afraid I do not know however I would think the latest products being marketed should already incorporate the newest electronic control designs GE has as well.

I think the unit is actually manufactured by Samsung
          The other affected models are made in the USA.

...or at least some components are.
          That wouldn't have anything to do with where the appliance was actually manufactured. Individual components could be sourced from anywhere around the world. Electronic components and motors are common coming from various big Asian conglomerates as they can be made cheaper there.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
          Last edited by Dan O.; 02-03-2009, 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Coil Filter-Reactor?

I opened the box to look at the parts GE sent ... in addition to the motherboard, they've sent a transformer-looking device called a Coil Filter-Reactor. Pretty intimidating name, but a little research yielded that these components are used to temper and moderate voltage fluctuations and some are specifically set to reduce harmonic noise. I think it's something related to the mother board or the voltage going to the fan so maybe that'll fix it.

I am very hopeful that when these parts get installed, the humming and howling will go away. GE is supposed to come back for the umpteenth time this week so we'll see if those parts fix it. I'll post an update either way.

Comment

I wanted to contribute to this thread since it was really helpful to me. My GE side by side started the "howling/moaning" many months ago. I found this thread, and it helped me navigate GE. Like other posts said, when you call GE support, they play dumb. Ask for customer relations. They also play dumb, but they told me that they would set up a service call, and IF it was some known problem, to call them back.

The service tech was great. He replaced the board, and the fridge was quiet like new. He gave me some $100 flat rate deal since it was out of warranty, which was much better than the $266.00 it would have cost, if he had not admitted that it was a real problem. He seemed like a nice guy, and may have done it anyway, but being armed with this information, puts you in much more a position to be done right.

Comment

Need 800 number

Dan,
                Please send the 800 phone number you mentiion below from the lawsuit
                page so I can contact GE as I have the same whoosing sound and must
                need a new motherboard.

Thanks.
                Diane

Originally posted by Soxfan View Post
                Thank god for this thread (and about a zillion others). Ive had this Howling problem for about 7 months and I couldnt take it anymore. I called the 1-800 number above from the lawsuit page and they told me it would either be free or 100.00 service charge and the board for free. I said "Cool, lets do it".
                Well, the GE repair guy came today, and completely acted like I was a child and really didnt know what I was talking about. I explained to him that this "Howling" noise was a wide problem with these models and he said, " nah, not to my knowledge and ive been doing this for over 20 years". Kept telling me it was the evaporator, blah blah. He couldnt get his phone to work, so I also mentioned the Class action suit, he said nope, that happened in 95-96 and had nothing to do with this. Unreal right? gets better,
                He gets ahold of his ppl and they tell him that yes, it is covered. He gets off the phone and tells me, "well Im glad you mentioned that, i would not have known", but in an arrogant way. The entire time he was telling me that it was my choice to haver it replaced, most people arent bothered by the "howling", and he kept repeating that.
                it got pretty tense in a quiet house. He replaced it, now....NO HOWLING. amazing.
                Thanks again guys, I hope someone else doesnt put up with this kind of Service.
                -Sox

Comment

Not me

Originally posted by Diane Jacobs
                  Dan,

Please send the 800 phone number you mention below from the lawsuit page
                  I did not say anything about a lawsuit and have no phone number regarding it. It was Soxfan's message that you quoted, not mine.

I have no other phone number besides the regular customer service number listed in my previous post. hrbanana did list a number for GE Customer Relations in their post. You could try it?

BTW. I am not aware of any "lawsuit" nor any "recall" about the motherboard failure problem. When talking with GE you might want to choose your words carefully or risk getting off on the wrong foot with them.

I have the same whoosing sound and must need a new motherboard.
                  That could be a possibility but is not necessarily a certainty.

JMO

Dan O.
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 03-26-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Uff dah! That noise is going to drive me nuts. When I work on my computer at night and everyone has gone to bed, it sounds like the dead have awoken. It's quite loud and right at the frequency that rattles my head. Model #GSS201EPD WW. It's about four years old.

How does the motherboard cause it to make this noise?

Comment

the motherboard has a device called a triac. this is a solid state device that varies the voltage going to the brush less dc motor in the freezer compartment. it makes noises when it operates. it's continually being gated on and off according to voltage needs. some battery operated drills actually make a noise when they operate just like the triac.
                      SCRs or silicone controlled rectifiers also make a heck of a lot of noise when they're controlling something.

Comment

Originally posted by robj

How does the motherboard cause it to make this noise?
                        Your fridge model uses a multi-speed DC evaporator fan motor. My understanding is the control board tries to power multiple motor speeds at the same time resulting in an unusual oscillation in the motor.

LINK > GE GSS20IEPD DC Evaporator Fan Motor

LINK > GE GSS20IEPD Main Control aka 'Mother' Board

JFYI

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Count me in...

Thank you all for this thread. I have a GE Side by side, model #
                          GSS20IETAWW thats 2 and half years old. Luckily I have an extended
                          warantee. Mine started howling about 2 weeks ago.

I had a service tech out about 2 months ago for a different problem.
                          The water dispenser failed to put out h2o. The tech installed a small
                          heater near the spigot that cures an the tube to ice up. That problem
                          was solved. Now the howling.

My service tech is coming this week. I will wait to see what he finds and
                          then use control board info from this thread.

I will report back the outcome...

Joe

Comment

Howling ghost in my GE Profile side by side

Model PS123SCRFSV, Ser RL449403--I have the same howling noise described in this blog. My fridge was installed Oct 2006, it is Jun 2009--this sound started about a month ago on and off. Now it is more prevelant. I called my repair man and he said that this has been a problem for GE and I could see if they will fix it at their cost. I called GE mentioned that I had this sound and my repair man said it was "reported". They denied any such reports and told me I could pay a tech to come out and diagnose it and pay for parts. I mentioned that I will go on line and see how many people have this problem and they sent me to another Customer service number which was closed. I called them today and they denied any such problem. That my model has not been reported. Is this true? Has onyone out there had this problem with the above model number. Hard to believe that the howling isn't the same issue. HELP

Comment

Model number incorrect

Originally posted by nicholjl

Model PS123SCRFSV... Has onyone out there had this problem with the above model number.
                              That model number is incorrect it should start PSi23... but I can't find a listing for a model PSi23SCRFSV either. I found listings for models with the letter "E" and before there and also "G" but not "F". It might be possible the "F" is correct but I can't find a parts listing for one.

JFYI

Dan O.

Comment

I checked the tag inside the fridge

The model number could well be "PSI23SCR . . ."but it definitely continues with " . . .FSV". Why do you suppose the GE people did not question this? Is PSI23SC covered on these recalls?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =