X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore 70 Series Dryer & Washer

Dryer model: 110.97573230
    Washer Model: 110.92273100

The dryer tumbles, but the timer does not advance and the heat does not come on. Are the two (timer and heat) tied together somehow, like maybe the heat waits for some signal from the timer that it's working before opening the gas valve and lighting up? I'd like to avoid the expense of a service call or new dryer, so I'm hoping there's a simple answer, or steps to follow that will answer the question.

Second, we sometimes open the washer to find a pretty good drip from the top of the tub and quite a bit of standing water. Not every time but often enough that my wife closes the valve at the wall box after doing laundry. I THINK the inlet valves might not be closing all the way. Could I be right?

Finally, are these repairs something someone reasonably good with tools and following instructions could tackle?

Framing and drywall, I can do. Electrical, I can do. Appliances? Not often enough to be confident. Yet.
    Last edited by seamlyne; 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM. Reason: additional info
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

** The dryer tumbles, but the timer does not advance **

On which heat settings? a 'timed' or an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting??

** Are the two (timer and heat) tied together somehow **

On some settings they can be, yes. Hence the above question.

** we sometimes open the washer to find a pretty good drip from the top of the tub and quite a bit of standing water. I THINK the inlet valves might not be closing all the way. Could I be right? **

Yes, but WHY is something else.

Poor water pressure to the water valve could cause the valve to not stay closed tightly. That could be the result of plugged filter screens in the fill hoses, kinked hoses or a problem in the water tap.

It could also be caused by a problem in the water valve itself.

** often enough that my wife closes the valve at the wall box after doing laundry. **

That should be done regardless to prevent possible flooding should the water fill hose(s) burst. They are not designed to withstand constant water pressure.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

** The dryer tumbles, but the timer does not advance **

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
      On which heat settings? a 'timed' or an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting??=D~~~~~~
      We tried it last night.

On a "timed" setting, the timer advanced normally.

On "auto" (low heat) and "permanent press" (high heat), the timer does not advance. The drum turns normally, but there is no heat and the timer does not advance.
      Last edited by seamlyne; 05-04-2007, 01:35 PM. Reason: correcting typos, addt'l info
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

Originally posted by seamlyne
        On a "timed" setting, the timer advanced normally.

On "auto" (low heat) and "permanent press" (high heat), the timer does not advance. The drum turns normally, but there is no heat and the timer does not advance.
        On many older models, if there is no heat, the timer will not advance on an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting. I can not say if that is the case on yours or not as I do not have access to its wiring diagram.

Does the dryer ever heat? on any heat/timer setting??

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
          Does the dryer ever heat? on any heat/timer setting??
          Nope. Used to, but not anymore. It's a gas dryer, with a correctly functioning water heater on the same line...it just stopped heating, and, coincidentally, timing. The dryer was made in 97.

Thanks for taking the time, by the way. It's much appreciated.
          Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
          Cut with an axe.

Comment

Than someone will need to investigate the heating system. If power IS getting to the gas burner, there may just be a problem in one of the gas valve's solenoid coils (see the following link) causing it to not work and also stopping timer operation on those cycles.

LINK > Kenmore 110.97573230 Burner Solenoid Set

If power is NOT even getting to the burner, the rest of the heater control circuit (timer, thermostats, etc.) would have to be traced to see where the power stoppage is.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =