Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burner indicator light stays on

One "hot surface" indicator light on my Kitchen Aid (model KECC567B) cooktop stays on all the time. After searching various appliance parts suppliers, I've identified the LED part number as 4454437, but since it's glowing, I would suspect a failed sensor instead of the LED. None of the sites can seem to lead me to a sensor.

Originally posted by GaryS

Kitchen Aid cooktop model KECC567B
    That is only part of a model number, did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag?

You can find tips for locating the model number identification tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

One "hot surface" indicator light on my stays on all the time. I've identified the LED part number as 4454437, but since it's glowing, I would suspect a failed sensor instead of the LED.
    It uses an LED? Most indicator lights on ranges and cooktops are just neon bulbs behind a plastic lens.

None of the sites can seem to lead me to a sensor.
    If you post the appliance's complete model number, we'll see if we can look it up.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

KECC567BBL2

Not every website lists it, but the KECC560B contains the same parts. It's made by Whirlpool.

I won't swear they are LEDs, but the one poor sketch in the only IPB I could find, looks like an LED and there is no lens; the light shines through the ceramic cooktop.

I haven't disassembled the cooktop yet, and am trying to figure out the repair needed before I take it out of service.

Comment

Limiter?

KECC567BBL2
        That's better.

Not every website lists it, but the KECC560B...
        There is no such model as "KECC560B", that is just the first part of a model number. Some full model numbers that begin that way include: KECC567BAL0, KECC567BAL1, KECC567BAL2, KECC567BBL0, KECC567BBL1, KECC567BBL2, KECC567BWH0, KECC567BWH1 and KECC567BWH2. Only the complete model number identifies the exact product you have.

I won't swear they are LEDs
        I'm not sure what those are either. They appear to be NLA so I can't even see a picture of them.

One "hot surface" indicator light on my Kitchen Aid cooktop stays on all the time.
        Which one?

On that model design, the hot indicator lights are controlled by the element's limiter switch. Either the one for that indicator has shorted contacts or there may be a short in the cooktop's wiring somewhere. The former is much more common though.

You can see one of the elements used on your model with its limiter, at the following link:

LINK > KitchenAid KECC567BBL2 Left, Rear Element w/Limiter

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM. Reason: Added information link

Comment

Thanks for the info, Dan. It appears that the odds are that I'm going to need the entire element to resolve the problem, and they are pricy. Since the element is operating fine, I don't think I'm going to spend that much money just to make the indicator operate properly. I've gotten used to it being that way, so I guess it's no big deal at this point.

Thanks again for the help.

BTW, I guess I was misinformed about the model number. Someone told me those last letters only described the color of the surface and the mounting ring.

Comment

It appears that the odds are that I'm going to need the entire element to resolve the problem
            Why? The limiters are available separately. I just didn't have a picture of one of them by itself to show you. Plus I didn't (and still don't) know which one is causing the problem.

I guess I was misinformed about the model number. Someone told me those last letters only described the color of the surface and the mounting ring.
            The AL, BL and WH do just indicate the colour, but the number that follows designates changes (besides the colour) in the product from one model to the next. It is also not possible to look up parts many places unless you enter the complete information (whether it just pertains to the colour not not).

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
              Why? The limiters are available separately. I just didn't have a picture of one of them by itself to show you. Plus I didn't (and still don't) know which one is causing the problem.

www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

It's the right-front halogen, but I couldn't find a listing for the limiter.

Comment

Element limiter

It's the right-front halogen, but I couldn't find a listing for the limiter.
                The limiter for that element is at the following link (although as I said, there is no image of it). Be prepared though, while it is less than 1/2 the price of the corresponding element and limiter assembly, it is still fairly expensive. Many of the other range manufactures don't sell them separately from the element... at any price.

LINK > KECC567BBL2 Right Front Element Limiter

BTW. When installing one, be careful not to touch the glass of the probe. Some are actually quartz which can be negatively affected by the oils in your skin. Even if not, they are very fragile and easily broken.

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

You're right...they are pricey! Since mine is a failure that says the burner is hot, rather than not indicating at all, I think I'll pass for now. If it had to fail, at least that's the way to do it.

Thanks again, Dan O.

Comment

KitchenAid KECC567BBL2

Saw this old thread, but it seems to address my problem. The 8 inch burner (left rear) needed to be replaced, only one element would get hot. Bought the replacement, WPL-8185649, and installed it. However, it does not get hot. The "hot" indicator goes on immediately, but no heat at the burner. Does the replacement get wired up differently? Any ideas or suggestions?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by joesette

The 8 inch burner needed to be replaced, only one element would get hot. Bought the replacement, WPL-8185649
                      That part number looks to be for a dual coil element. Do you mean only one of the two coils of that element worked originally? If so, did anyone test the element to make sure the failure was actually in the element?

...installed it. However, it does not get hot. The "hot" indicator goes on immediately, but no heat at the burner. Does the replacement get wired up differently?
                      If there were wiring changes required the installation instructions which look to come with the replacement element (see the following link) should have described any changes necessary.

LINK > Whirlpool 8185649 Dual Element w/Instructions

I'm afraid I do not have access to those installation instructions to know what they say. Sorry.

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

KitchenAid KECC567BBL2

Dan,
                        Thank you for the reply. Other than a digital multimeter, I have no other testing equipment. With the original dual element burner, only the outer element would get hot. The replacement doesn't get hot at all. And, oddly, the "hot" indicator goes on immediately. That was why I thought there might be a wiring change. The burner did not include instructions, other than those for the wire splices if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by joesette

Other than a digital multimeter, I have no other testing equipment. With the original dual element burner, only the outer element would get hot.
                          That would be sufficient to test the individual element coils.

The burner did not include instructions, other than those for the wire splices if needed.
                          Generally, the two terminals on the limiter which were normally closed (show 0 resistance) when at room temperature would be the ones for power to the element and to the element coil itself. The two terminals for the hot indicator light would be open (show infinite resistance) until the element got hot.

JFYI

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

KitchenAid KECC567BBL2

Dan,

Thanks for your assistance. Turns out it was a simple mistake by a simpe-minded DIYer. The wires do not go to the same terminals! So, making a note of the positions is not enough; you MUST note the terminal numbers and wire color in order to put it make together properly.

Comment

Fixed

Glad to hear you figured it out. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =