Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE refrigerator defrost problem

Problem with GE side by side refrigerator, model GSS22WGPACC. 6 months ago it stopped defrosting (coil freezing over). Removed heating element & it was fried, coil/spring in tube was in multiple pieces and burned looking. Replaced it with exact factory part & it worked great for 6 mths. Now its freezing over again, removed the replacement element & it looks great, checked continuity from end to end and is good. What should I look at next?

Thanks, Jimbo

Originally posted by brooksjp

GE SxS refrigerator, model GSS22WGPACC

removed the [defrost heater] & it looks great, checked continuity from end to end and is good. What should I look at next?
    That is one of GE's newer electronically controlled fridge models. The other parts in the defrost system are the 'mother board' (which controls the whole refrigerator) and the thermistor sensors. If the mother board shows physical signs of damage, you've found the problem otherwise such a model can be tricky to diagnose properly if you're unfamiliar working on them.

LINK > GE GSS22WGPACC 'Mother Board' (main circuit board)
    LINK > GE GSS22WGPACC Evaporator Thermistor

BTW. GE did have a failure problem with the original thermistors used during production and has since redesigned them. If the one(s) on your model are bullet shaped (have a rounded tip instead of flat like the current ones), they are suspect and should be changed even if not the immediate problem.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

GE refrigerator defrost problem

Thanks Dan O, will look at board (if I can find it), replaced thermistor already. Board should show obvious sign of damage, right?

Comment

Originally posted by brooksjp

Board should show obvious sign of damage, right?
        No, it might... if you're lucky, making diagnosis easy.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =