Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Refrigerator Too Quiet?

I have a GE side by side refrigerator model ESH22XGRB that's about 4 1/2 years old. It's not especially noisy, but I am normally aware that the unit is running.

Early this morning when I awoke, it seemed unusually quiet in the kitchen. Neither the compressor nor the circulating fan were running for a period of about two hours, even though the unit had power.

Just about the time I decided that I had a problem, the unit started running again. I checked the food in both compartments and everything seemed fine.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid since we've had problems with the electrical power failing periodically due to thunderstorms recently. And we had lightning strike a tree adjacent to the house about two months ago which blew circuit breakers; frying a couple of portable phones and the irrigation controller, even though we have whole house surge protection at the meter box.

I've never noticed the refrigerator remaining off for so long. Is it possible that the defrost timer was hung, or could it be that the thermostat was simply doing its job and no cooling was needed?

Thanks

Myself and others have said at one time or another. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! or once the smoke comes out, you can't get the smoke back in! Leave well enough alone, it's cooling and food isn't spoiing.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      Myself and others have said at one time or another. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! or once the smoke comes out, you can't get the smoke back in! Leave well enough alone, it's cooling and food isn't spoiing.
      I Hear That! Thanks...........

Comment

Originally posted by Murexway

Neither the compressor nor the circulating fan were running for a period of about two hours, even though the unit had power...
        Just about the time I decided that I had a problem, the unit started running again.
        It was likely just in its defrost cycle although two hours would be unusually long. Maybe your time frame was a bit exaggerated or the defrost cycle coincided with a period of normal off time, making the inactivity longer?

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
          It was likely just in its defrost cycle although two hours would be unusually long. Maybe your time frame was a bit exaggerated or the defrost cycle coincided with a period of normal off time, making the inactivity longer?
          =D~~~~~~
          No it was a full two hours. This model apparently doesn't have a defrost timer, from what I can determine, but uses a motherboard controller (God help us!).

It goes to sleep for long periods, but the food seems OK and it's still running though..........

Comment

Working...
          X
          =