Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icemaker stopped working

I have a Kenmore fridge and the icemaker stopped working. It started by leaking slowly back in February - ice would drip from the maker itself. It wasn't a huge problem and I couldn't find anyone but sears to fix it (which would be $350+ dollars) so I just let it go. Well, it slowly stopped working (making less and less ice) and now won't work at all. I noticed some ice frozen underneath the maker.

I had one expert tell me it wasn't as easy as you'd think to replace this specific model, so I am wondering if I have to bite the bullet and hire sears.

I did check to make sure it didn't come loose and checked the fill tube - all looks fine.

Any suggestions or am I stuck with sears?

Here's my fridge info:
    Kenmore
    Model: 106.55522400

Thanks
    Last edited by dj928; 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM.

Originally posted by dj928

Kenmore fridge [model: 106.55522400] and the icemaker slowly stopped working (making less and less ice) and now won't work at all.
    Will it harvest (dump) the cubes if you manually fill the ice mold and let it freeze? Maybe it's just not filling with water??

I had one expert tell me it wasn't as easy as you'd think to replace this specific model
    Is that icemaker mounted on the freezer door? If so, while it might not be as easy as a standard icemaker to replace, I can't see it being that much more difficult but I am not familiar with your exact fridge model.

LINK > Replacement 'In Door' Icemaker asm.

I couldn't find anyone but sears to fix it... am I stuck with sears?
    I don't know why that would be but if you need an alternative service agent, a Whirlpool *factory authorized* service depot might be a good choice as that is whom manufactured your fridge for Sears.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I tried to remove the maker today to get a better view of the problem. I can't get it out. It appears that it might be frozen in place as a result of all the ice frozen around it, but I don't want to force it and break something. There was a large stick of frozen ice under the maker and behind it. Clearly a leak of some sort. I am thinking the maker is cracked, but I would like to see it. Any suggestions on how to get it out? I can show detailed pics if someone wants to email me privately and get my personal email address. I really think I can do this myself and save the $150 labor charge I'm getting quoted. At this point I'm assuming the maker needs to be entirely replaced.

P.S. I can't figure out how to manually move anything within the maker. And the icemaker is not mounted on the door. It appears to have a bracket that it slides into and a plug in the back for power. But I can't get it to slide out on the bracket - either because that's not how it actually comes out or some other hinderance I can't overcome without more brute force (I think it's ice).

Comment

** It appears that it might be frozen in place... Any suggestions on how to get it out? **

Besides defrosting it?

** I can't figure out how to manually move anything within the maker. **

Nor should you try to physically force it. Only through powering the unit can you get it to advance without causing damage.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Yeah I didn't want to defrost the whole freezer and lose everything in there. I was able to get it out by breaking the ice with a screwdriver and it was a huge pain. I now have the maker out and don't visually see anything wrong with it - except that there is a block of ice underneath it and behind it. When taking some of the plastic pieces off, I see that ice had formed around the side of the maker where it turns it.

The rubber tube that fills the maker looks fine, but when I pull it down water starts dripping from up behind it (into the freezer ceiling). Is that normal? I don't want to pull any harder and have it pop off or something. But I want to make sure the leak isn't from there.
          Last edited by dj928; 10-11-2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Icemaker fill tube

** water starts dripping from up behind it (into the freezer ceiling). Is that normal? **

Behind it? Water should only be inside of it. You can see what that tube looks like at the following link:

LINK > Kenmore 106.55522400 Icemaker Fill Tube

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, that link is perfect. What I mean is that when I pulled gently on the tube and slowly started to work that rubber gasket down, a little water would drip from up in that area (possibly where the rubber gasket meets the tube up out of sight in the freezer area). I didn't pull any harder because I didn't want to dislodge it.

I cleaned up the icemaker and reinstalled it. The water tube filled the icemaker and then stopped (appeared normal). But by morning, there was no ice. So it appears it's now filling fine but the icemaker won't move.

Let me know what you recommend.

Thanks.

Comment

** by morning, there was no ice. So it appears it's now filling fine but the icemaker won't move. **

What "ice" are you referring to? Ice cubes or the ice where it should't be??

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com
                =D~~~~~~

Comment

Neither - no cubes - no ice surrounding maker.
                  Last edited by dj928; 10-12-2007, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Does the icemaker seem to be going through its motions anyway? If so, maybe the fill tube has frozen closed? The freezer being too warm will stop operation of the icemaker.

Maybe the icemaker harness has become unplugged?

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                    Last edited by Dan O.; 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM.

Comment

No sound or movement from the icemaker. I removed it, thawed it out and reinstalled it, making sure the harness was reconnected snugly. The fill tube filled it with water fine and isn't frozen. The icemaker just won't move. Interior temps are enough to keep everyhthing in it properly frozen.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =