Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expandable burner on Kenmore elite range

I have a Kenmore Elite range with smooth top. It has an expandable burner on front right side. with this burner I can select 3 different sizes. Small medium and large.

Every single burner on this range glows bright red when activated except the medium ring on this expandable burner. When I select the medium or large size on this burner the middle ring only glows very slightly. It hard to tell that it is even working.

To clarify when large is selected the center glows bright red and the outer ring of the burner glows bright red but the middle portion does not. So in other words whether I select small or medium there seems to be no difference as only the small center area glows.

I called Sears and they insist this is normal. It makes no sense to me that there would be one burner that does not glow red. I simply do not believe them.

I was hoping to get a response from someone who owns a Kenmore range with a triple sized element like mine. I was hoping that person could confirm if their burner does same thing when medium or large is selected.

Pls help as I have tried other forums to no avail.

Thanks

Originally posted by slybry

I have a Kenmore Elite range with smooth top.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the product in question. Kenmore ranges are made by at least 5-different manufacturers, each making numerous different models for them. What is needed to identify your specific product is its exact model number taken from the appliance's model and serial number identification tag.

You can find tips for locating that identification tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

I was hoping to get a response from someone who owns a Kenmore range with a triple sized element like mine [to] confirm their burner does same thing when medium or large is selected.
    I don't have one but had heard one other complain similar to yours about a Kenmore range model made by Frigidaire which had electronic surface element controls but never did hear back from the person on a resolution (if there ever was one), sorry.

I called Sears and they insist this is normal.
    You could try checking with the actual appliance manufacturer although I don't know how much (if any) they'll be willing to help being a Kenmore branded product. Sears is suppose to support that brand themselves.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The model number is C970-440934. It is stainless steel with black glass top. It is a built in design with controls on front of stove. The controls are all electronic no dials. It was just purchased in early 2007.

Anyone out there with similar stove that can test this burner issue for me???

Comment

Just an update.

The Sears repair guy came. He admitted he was not familiar with this type of stove. He thought burner action was stranged and so he changed the burner. The new burner acted the same way. I asked him if it could be a problem with the electronic controls telling the burner what to do. He did not know.

He promised to follow up and find out if stove is supposed to function this way. That was over 10 days ago so I suspect I will not hear from him again.

So I still have a wonky burner and I am no further ahead.

Comment

your burner elements may be of the piezo crystal design type. it is essentially a solid state device which when current passes through it creates heat. the amount of heat produces is proportional to the amount of current passing through it. a device called a triac is basically a current controlling device that is "gated" on or off from an electronic circuit. From what you said, the tech replaced the burner with no results. I would look to the controller for that burner.

Comment

your burner elements may be of the piezo crystal design type...
            I've never seen such an element design used in a domestic cooking appliance (only in a Sanyo dryer from years ago). From the parts list the OP's element looks to be a regular radiant resistance element (like used on any glass top range), except with several separate heating filaments.

I have to agree the controller is most likely responsible but whether it is designed to operate that way or not, I don't know. It does sound unusual to me. Sears does however like their "Kenmore" models to function slightly differently than the manufacturer's own brands, often incorporating upcoming features not found elsewhere yet. Maybe that functioning is someone's idea of trying to heat more evenly???

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.ca
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Expandable burner on Kenmore elite range

We have the same model stove and the triple burner performs in the same manner, the outer and inner most rings glow red when on high, where as the middle element appears not to be on. I had a service tech come out and see if there was a problem. He hadn't seen one of these before, but thought it was broken. He phoned back later and said he had checked around and that was the way it was supposed to work. Apparently the middle element is a lower wattage than the outer and inner ones.

Comment

Thank you Frooks. Thank you ..... thank you.... thank you.

Never thought I was going to hear from someone that owns this stove. I think we might be the only 2 owners...ha ha. Never heard back from sears service guy as he promised so I was still in dark.

Funny operation and design of burner but now that I know it is normal I can put this issue to rest.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =