Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Dependable Care Plus, model # LDG9334AAE

I just read your solutions to Igniter Coil flame outs and appreciate the detail work, "I replaced the gas valve's solenoid coils this morning and the first load dried just fine."

I do not think I will replace the solenoids because my timer also is not counting down when on Electronic Dry settings, the drum will sit and spin for hours with no heat. what next the dampness sensor not working?

I just replaced the drum skids $24.00 for a little 1 inch teflon. I have concluded that my only solution is to Dump the Maytag Dependable Dryer and find something else, And let me just add no wonder the Maytag Serviceman never works on a Maytag, because he knows they can`t be fixed.

But thanks for the Forum I have other aplliances to Fix like the Mix Master

I`m Your Handy Man
    Last edited by Dan O.; 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM. Reason: formating and added link to quoted forum message

Gas dryer no heat and timer not advancing on some cycles

I do not think I will replace the solenoids because my timer also is not counting down when on Electronic Dry settings
    Too bad because those coils could also be responsible for the timer not advancing on an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting... depending on the actual design of the dryer.

LINK > Gas Burner Solenoid Set

the drum will sit and spin for hours with no heat.
    Most auto dry settings require heat. Without heat the clothing can't possibly dry. No dry = dryer needs to run more so the timer not advancing is what it should be doing on an auto setting (which is designed to only shut off when drying is complete).

I have concluded that my only solution is to Dump the Maytag Dependable Dryer and find something else
    That's too bad as well. Most service technicians would prefer that design of dryer to just about any other product on the market (current or past). That is Maytag's "Dependable Care" dryer design, the laundry equipment Maytag built its reputation on. It is FAR superior to any of Maytag's later laundry products.

If you can't determine the problem yourself I suggest it is likely worthwhile to even have an appliance service technician in to check and/or fix it for you (if the rest of the dryer is still in decent shape) rather than purchasing a replacement but that is up to you.

Good luck on your next dryer. Hopefully you don't pick a model with lots of electronic components inside which when they fail can be difficult to diagnose and expensive to repair.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 01-30-2008, 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Your Right Dan

You are correct Dan and It dawned on me after I contacted you that unless you have ignition the drum would sit and spin.

But alls well that ends well, while tearing the Dryer out I discovered a large ball or actually a large plate of Lint on the exhaust duct, after pulling the Lint ball off, The Dryer fixed itself. I suppose the only thing I don`t understand is how did the ignition unit know there was a large ball of lint in the Exhaust Port ?
      any way thanks for the Help.

I`m Your Handy Man
      p.s. I was going to haul the thing away for scrap.
      $24.00 for skip pads next time I'll use a plastic bottle.
      Last edited by Dan O.; 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM. Reason: line formatting

Comment

Problems that go away on their own...

The Dryer fixed itself.
        Glad to hear it but you might want to keep an eye on it. Those burner coils are often intermittent and it may have just started working as a coincidence.

how did the ignition unit know there was a large ball of lint in the Exhaust Port?
        It didn't (hence my comment above).

$24.00 for skip pads next time I'll use a plastic bottle.
        You sound peeved. There are other appliance companies that charge much more on average for many of their replacement parts. Think of it this way, $24.00/20 years of use* (past and/or future) = $1.20 per year. {*Which that dryer design is more than capable of doing!}

You are very unlikely to get away with that low of maintenance costs for any new appliance you might happen to buy. If it's a good appliance, why not fix it right on the rare occasion when it needs it and keep it around for a while??

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

same Maytag Different Day

Well Dan the Dryer works fine, but still I see no problem from the igniters, which says that the Dryer will not fire up without a clean lint port to the outside, there must be some built in safety feature to prevent fires from lint, otherwise I cannot explain why the Dryer malfunctioned in the First Place.

I`m Your Handy Man

Comment

Dryer fires

** still I see no problem from the igniters **

There is only one ignitor, I was referring to the solenoid coils on the gas burner.

Glad to hear it is still working for you.

** Dryer will not fire up without a clean lint port to the outside, there must be some built in safety feature to prevent fires from lint **

There are thermostats in a dryer which will shut the heating mechanism down if they sense the dryer is too hot... for whatever reason. Such thermostats will reset and turn the heat back on as soon as they cool again from the heater being off. That will repeat in a cycle until the cause is detected and corrected.

Many newer dryers have a thermal fuse which will open if that fuse gets too hot. Once open they are permanently failed and would have to be replaced before heating would start again. On some models such a safety device will shut the whole dryer down.

I know of no dryer that is capable of detecting air flow to the outdoors. Any safety functions would just act upon the results of such a blockage (ie. getting too hot) as described above. That's why there are so many dryer fires each year from neglect! (see the following link)

LINK > Dryer vent related information

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

in the blower outlet is a thermal overload device. if the outlet is plugged the overload trips shutting down the gas burner even tho the drum still spins.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =