Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas range will not get up to temp

Gas range (Magic Chef) model # 3458xvw. Problem, oven will light but will not go to higher temp. everything else works fine. I think it may be the valve. Anyone see this before. Thanks

Actual fire or just glow??

Originally posted by gorillawelder
    oven will light but will not go to higher temp.
    The oven heats by the burner staying on. The longer it is on, the hotter the oven gets. If it is staying lit, the oven has to be heating.

Your oven uses a 'hot surface' (glow ignitor) ignition system. Are you certain the burner is actually lighting (ie. catching fire) and you're not just seeing the glow of an oven ignitor??

You can read how they operate at the following link:

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for your reply DAN O, The thing lights but the flame on the burner is a very small cone and will not get bigger when you turn up the temp. I cant hear the gas flowing like i can when the broiller is on.

Comment

Oven burner flame isn't suppose to change size - ON or OFF only

Originally posted by gorillawelder
        The thing lights but the flame on the burner is a very small cone
        Than there may be a problem with gas getting to the burner. Maybe a blockage on its supply line, inside the burner or the oven gas valve not opening fully (although that would be fairly rare).

and will not get bigger when you turn up the temp.
        It isn't suppose to. The oven burner is suppose to be either on or off depending on what the control is telling it to do at the time, no in between. An oven burner does not function like a surface burner does with a hi, medium or low setting.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan o what you say makes a lot of sense, I looked up the part online and it could cost me 100.00 bucks or more a repairman more $ . The range is over 10 yeas old and i hate anything getting the best of me but i think its time to put the thing on the curb or donate it. Thanks again. Gorrilla.

Comment

I looked up the part online
            Which part? It hasn't been established yet which (if any) is needed.

it could cost me 100.00 bucks or more
            How much is it going to cost to replace, $400+?

There seems to be a wide different there but it's up to you.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =