Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amana Cooktop Switch

Model number AK2H35HRW Amana Cooktop. The dual-element switch has been discontinued. Can anyone give me the specifications for that switch? Can anyone suggest a similar switch from another cooktop that I might use? It seems to me that I should be able to adapt another switch to control the dual element. Even if the replacement switch were not infinite, but rather functioned in steps, it would be satisfactory.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Originally posted by wmoeny
    Amana Cooktop model AK2H35HRW. The dual-element switch [part number 0309550] has been discontinued. Can anyone suggest a similar switch from another cooktop that I might use?
    I don't know of any other switches that function the same as the original. Sorry

It seems to me that I should be able to adapt another switch to control the dual element.
    A regular element switch like used on the other elements might be able to be used with the dual element although it could only operate one or the other coil of the dual element or both together, not separately. Probably just a jumper would be needed at the element terminals for the latter.

LINK > Amana AK2H35HRW Infinite Heat Switch (reg.)

Of course a new knob with appropriate markings for the replacement switch would be handy as well?

LINK > Amana AK2H35HRW Element Control Knob (reg.)

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 08-10-2008, 12:52 AM.

Comment

dual element switch for amana ak2t36 cooktop switch

Is there a way to repair the old switch?

Comment

not having access to a parts store I would say no. you might be able to hobb knob contacts but they won't last

Comment

Originally posted by masid

Is there a way to repair the old switch?
          Not usually, no. Such switches not manufactured with repair in mind. Sorry.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

amana switch repair

Thanks.
            I have taken the switch apart and found a burned contact with excess distance of travel to contact. I have adjusted the distance and cleaned the contacts. So I will see how it works when I have time to re install it this weekend.
            masid

Comment

Switch repair

Originally posted by masid

I have taken the switch apart. I will see how it works
              So, how did the repaired switch function?

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

amana switch repair

The switch works again with a relatively minor glitch. The two stage burner is no longer a two stage burner, it is only a high heat, both stages at once burner. The original problem was that the high heat outer ring did not work. The replacement switch worked the same as the repaired switch, except the pilot light was continually on. The repaired switch does not have that problem.
                It was tricky to get the parts in order to have the control knob facing in the right direction, but I would not hesitate to attempt a repair/adjustment of this type switch. There are two adjustment screws that I did not "Screw" with, but I am sure with another 30 minutes or so with two resistance meters at once, I could get it working like new. Having taken the cooktop apart three times so far, I have gotten my fill of it for now. The original problem was that my wife was complaining about how long it took to boil water for pasta. It boils fast now.
                Masid

Comment

Fixed... sort of

The replacement switch worked the same as the repaired switch
                  What "replacement switch"?? You only discussed repairing the original before.

The switch works again with a relatively minor glitch. The two stage burner is no longer a two stage burner, it is only a high heat, both stages at once burner.
                  So it's basically just an ON/OFF switch now. Not quite "minor" IMO but glad you're satisfied with how it's operating.

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =