Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife wants actual temp on Whirlpool Range

We have a Whirlpool RF368LXPQ Electric Range. It has a digital display, but it only shows the set temperature not the actual temperature at any given time. The user manual shows 4 possible control panels for this oven. We have style 3. Styles 2, 3, and 4 only display the set temperature. Style 1 is suppose to show the actual temp as it gets closer to the set point. It drives my wife crazy because she has to wait for the preheat cycle to finish. Can I get a style 1 control panel and make a substitution? If so, how would I find the part number for the style 1 part. The current part number is 6610452 (white). Any help would be appreciated.

Modify appliance design

** Whirlpool RF368LXPQ Electric Range **

Did you get that model number right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag? It looks to be missing a digit at the end. The only reliable place to find the appliance's complete model number is from that identification tag.

** Can I get a style 1 control panel **

It would not be the control panel required to alter its functioning it would the electronic control itself. The "control panel" just houses the controls which consist of many individual components.

** The user manual shows 4 possible control panels for this oven. **

No, it likely shows the control panels which may be used on various *different* range models which that one owner's manual is supplied with. The owner's manual for range model RF368LXPQ0 I looked at actually says, "This manual covers several different models".

** Can I get a style 1 control panel and make a substitution? **

Generally, you can not get different parts than what were originally supplied on the appliance when it was manufactured.

I do not know how you'd even find out which range model uses the control you're interested in nor whether it would fit into the existing control panel on your range. From the pictures of the controls in the owner's manual I looked at, style 1 control looks to cover a lot larger area than the other controls which would lead me to believe that at the very least the control panel would also need to be changed in addition to the control should you be able to find the correct part number for it.

I really think you're on a wild goose chase but you can try contacting Whirlpool directly to see if they can help you.

Sorry.

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 09-30-2008, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dan

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did forget the last digit, it should have been a 2.
      The manual does say it covers more than one model as you suggest but I assumed it was referring to the model numbers given at the top of the parts list page which I got from the Whirlpool site for model RF368LXPQ2. I did notice that the Style 1 Controls (electronics) are larger and I assumed I would have to change the Control panel (sheet metal) along with it.
      The two questions remaining are: Would it fit onto my oven and Would it be compatible. Being an electrical engineer, I'd expect there to be some commonality of wiring at least in similar models. Maybe Whirlpool doesn't work like that, I don't know.
      Looking at the prices for 'replacement' Controls (electronics) and the control panel (sheet metal) I think I'll be talking my wife out of this idea anyway.
      Thanks again for your help.
      John

Comment

** The manual does say it covers more than one model but I assumed it was referring to the model numbers given at the top of the parts list page. **

The other model numbers listed in the parts list are just the different color variations of your same range model. Range models with different features would have much more varied model numbers (usually the first 5-6 digits).

** Would it fit onto my oven **

You mean would it fit onto your range? (The oven is just one part of a range.)

As long as the control was smaller than the width of your range (which is pretty much a certainty), I would imagine it should "fit". But as I stated, I do not know what other components might also need to be changed to install it.

** Would it be compatible. **

Unless the wanted control was responsible for features not found on your model (eg. convection, self-clean, etc.) or vise versa, it could probably be made to work. How different its wiring would be I have no idea since we don't even know which part it is nor the range model it is used on. Probably not a great deal of wiring difference although terminal markings and locations on the control may not be the same.

** Looking at the prices for 'replacement' [part(s)] I think I'll be talking my wife out of this idea anyway. **

I think that's probably wise. Too bad the owner's manual wasn't made specifically for your model then she wouldn't even have known about the other model's functioning?

If she really insists on the oven functioning that way, I suggest you sell your existing range and look for one that functions the way she wants from the start. Probably not a simple task in itself.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =