Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Fridge compressor

My Kenmore(Whirlpool) Mod. 106.8566882 sxs fridge compressor is hot, no noise. This started 24 hrs. ago after I fixed the ice maker. I'm guessing it was caused by my unplugging the power cord 4-5 times, while I was fixing the ice maker. The evap and condenser fans are running and the coils have been cleaned every 6 mos. The freezer is fine and making ice. The fridge has been at 47 degrees since the compressor stopped working. Any help would be appreciated!

if you don't allow the compressor to pump down every time you unplug it it will almost always trip out on over current. the pressures between the high side and low side HAVE TO EQUALIZE - there's a good chance the overload relay has burnt out if you plugged in and unplugged as quickly as you said.

Comment

Compressor observations

Originally posted by golfinator
      fridge compressor is hot, no noise. The evap and condenser fans are running
      The compressor should usually be running whenever the fans are. If it isn't someone will need to look into why.

The freezer is fine and making ice. The fridge has been at 47 degrees since the compressor stopped working.
      Than the compressor has to be running. That is what provides cooling for the whole appliance.

If it is just the refrigerator section that is not cooling, you can read about possible causes for that at the following link:

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Hay Zee. There's a good possibility that's what happened. Not sure where the overload relay is located, but I guess I can track it down.

Comment

You're right, Dan O. The compressor is running, but its never been this quiet before. Thanks for the link!

Comment

You're right, Dan O. The compressor is running. Thanks for the link!
            Let us know the results when you've had a chance to check each possibility out.

Not sure where the overload relay is located, but I guess I can track it down.
            It is mounted on the side of the compressor but would stop the compressor from running if it was the problem so it is unlikely to be related to your symptom.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Kenmore Fridge Compressor

Many thanks for all your help. If not for your advice, I probably would have started replacing parts. The answer seems to have been just leaving it alone to do its work.
              After many prayers, the fridge is working fine. In fact, the loud whinning noise it used to make on startup is gone. It took a couple of days for the fridge to get down to 40 degrees, but it and the freezer are holding fine. I found out we bought this in '86, so I'm guessing it's living on borrowed time. Thanks again.

Comment

The answer seems to have been just leaving it alone to do its work. After many prayers, the fridge is working fine.
                We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                Last edited by Dan O.; 10-16-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =