Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Stove -- Dealer installed LP; we burn NG

Hi. We bought a Lopi Berkshire gas heating stove. We specifically paid for a natural gas version. The stove was installed, plumber came and hooked the natural gas line up, and we fired up the stove for a few days. Then, I notice a sticker near the control panel--which was hard to read because not much light gets in there--which says: "gas valve has been converted to LPG...." I'm guessing that it has been converted, because the flame was really low and it didn't give off much heat, which is consistent with what I've read about burning NG on an LPG conversion.

Dealer says they'll come out and check it. My manual says, if you burn the wrong gas, the warranty is void. So, what would you do? I want to insist they take it back and give us a new one. They seem to think they can simply switch it back to NG. Could there have been damage done? I think the warranty being void is enough to ask for a new stove. Any advice?

Thanks.

No "damage" done

My manual says, if you burn the wrong gas, the warranty is void.
    That would likely apply to extended use (months/years) only.

I want to insist they take it back and give us a new one.
    You can try to insist but it will be up to the dealer's policy (and/or your determination). Usually major items get repaired when under warranty not replaced. It's not like replacing something simple like a toaster, etc.

They seem to think they can simply switch it back to NG.
    That would usually be the case for most appliances that can be set up to use either natural gas or LP.

Could there have been damage done?
    No. It just wouldn't work/heat correctly.

BTW. I don't know about heating appliances but gas kitchen ranges and clothes dryers usually come from the factory set for natural gas. If someone wanted to use them with LP, the appliance would usually have to be specifically converted for that fuel. Maybe the dealer/installer just got the instructions on what fuel was going to be used mixed up? Not a major concern if noticed and corrected in a timely fashion.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I have a GIBSON range I bought six years ago. It was listed as natural gas and the dealer supplied a conversion kit for propane. Each burner has a removable brass orifice for LP or NG. The NG orifice has a smaller opening than for LP. Same with the oven burner orifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
        That would likely apply to extended use (months/years) only.
        How would I determine that? The manual and the warranty itself both state that the warranty is void if the wrong fuel is burned. I think I'll call the manufacturer directly and see what they say.

Thanks for responding; I appreciate your insights.

Comment

How would I determine [how long it was used that way]?
          Improperly set up burners often cause sooting. The longer it is used that way the more of a mess it becomes.

But when it comes to using natural gas on an LP converted appliance, usually just reduced flames are the result. No ill affects to the appliance otherwise.

I think I'll call the manufacturer directly
          Go for it! Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.
          Last edited by Dan O.; 01-25-2009, 02:09 AM.

Comment

The GE stove I bought several years ago came set up for natural gas. In a pocket on the back of it was a sheet with instructions on how to convert it to LPG. The pressure regulator behind the pull-out drawer had a reversible pin under a cover; there were 4 LP orifice spuds in a rack next to it to replace the NG ones in the top burners; the oven and broiler orifice hoods had to be rotated to the LP setting, and the air shutters adjusted. Natural gas is at a lower pressure than LP, so the regulator should not have been damaged if it was at the higher setting. The orifices, either LP or NG, are metal and can't be damaged by gas passing through them.

Comment

So, manufacturer said burning NG on Propane setup should be fine. Going the other way (propane on NG setup) not so much. Glad to hear this. Without any knowledge of this stuff, I assumed the worst and didn't expect much from the dealer, so I'm glad that everything should work out. Still waiting for the dealer to come fix it, though.

Comment

Still waiting for the dealer to come fix it
                Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.

Comment

Will do. They're scheduled to come tomorrow morning, but we're under the grips of a huge snow storm, so we'll see. I would love to have this stove up and running, though.

Will update soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =