Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan O., just wondering if you can tell what might be the problem by looking at the diagram? Or should I just call the repair guy?

Comment

Sorry, computer down.

Your model Looks to be made by Frigidaire. Does the lid lock when set on spin?

Back to you when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
        Sorry, computer down.

Your model Looks to be made by Frigidaire. Does the lid lock when set on spin?

Back to you when I can.
        No, the lid doesn't lock. Although it would stop spinning if you opened it during the spin cycle.

Comment

No, the lid doesn't lock.
          It's suppose to. Not doing so should indicate a lid lock failure which could very well stop the motor from operating on spin.

The next problem will likely be trying to locate a replacement since you have no model number to go by. Someone may need to examine the original part looking for numbering printed directly on it to trace or take it to a local appliance parts supplier and hope they can match one up from their stock.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
            It's suppose to. Not doing so should indicate a lid lock failure which could very well stop the motor from operating on spin.
            Interesting! So once it gets to spin mode it should have a mechanism that keeps the lid locked down?? I see "lid lock" on the diagram but figured that was just that mechanism that sense whether or not the lid is closed.

On the right-hand side of the washer lid, when I took the cover off, someone had shorted 2 wires together -- I assumed that these were the wires that tell the machine whether or not the lid is open.

I assumed this was the "lid lock" and since it was shorted by the previous owner then it shouldn't have been an issue.

Comment

Okay so I took a look at the washer itself, it was the lid lock I was referring to. The previous owner took the wires off of the lid lock and fastened them together directly.

A safety issue perhaps but it does take the lid lock out of the equation.

Hmmm.

Comment

Sorry but I have one other thought... the pressure switch?

Would a bad pressure switch cause it to slightly overfill (a symptom I'm having) and cut off the spin cycle because it thinks the tub is still full of water?

One other thing I forgot to mention, the pump comes on even when the tub is empty (before spin cycle). So I'm now wondering if the pressure switch or the tube from the pressure switch could be causing this problem?

Does that make sense to you?

Comment

The previous owner took the wires off of the lid lock and fastened them together directly.
                  Did the spin ever work since you've had it? If it did, the bypassed lock is not the problem and that should just leave the timer. As near as I can tell from your wiring diagram the motor should work in both agitate or spin if it worked in either so it should be able to be ruled out as the potential cause of just spin problems.

Would a bad pressure switch cause it to slightly overfill (a symptom I'm having) and cut off the spin cycle because it thinks the tub is still full of water?
                  The water level control (aka pressure switch) has nothing to do with spin. It just controls the fill and advancing of the timer to a wash function. The machine doesn't check it otherwise.

slightly overfill (a symptom I'm having)
                  You never said that before, you said "it will always fill to the highest level".

the pump comes on even when the tub is empty (before spin cycle).
                  A separate, electrically driven pump should pump before the spin starts. Trying to spin with the tub full of water would put too much strain on the motor... not to mention whirlpooling the water up and out over the top of the tub. The pump is controlled by the timing of the timer alone. No 'sensing' of water level is involved.

JMO

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com
                  The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 02-27-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks VERY much Dan O. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =