Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, what is the problem with my microwave

hi,

I have a GE Space Maker microwave oven. One night, while I used it to heat my banquet meat ball dinner, and then I heard a pooo from the microwave. I opened the door, a strong burning smell came out. After that, the microwave will no longer heat. I have American Home Shield appliance warranty which turned out a pretty bad company though. They sent out a tech to check the problem. The tech came in, took a look, told me there were several metal spots which came out from the inside. He told me the magnetron failed and he would need to order the part and then left. The next day, AHS callled me said my claim was denied because it is not normal wear. I was so pissed. Anyway, back to the problem, I think it must be the magetron failed too. I took some pictures for it.
    My Microwave Pictures
    What do you guys think? Is it easy to fix? AHS said the was not normal wear, I really don't think so..

Hi,
    Originally posted by chadcheng

GE Space Maker microwave oven.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number.

Forum Notice > Please include Make and Model # in post

I heard a pooo from the microwave. I opened the door, a strong burning smell came out. After that, the microwave will no longer heat. The tech told me the magnetron failed
    That's quite possible. Quite a few of GE OTR microwave models suffered premature magnetron tube failure.

What do you guys think? Is it easy to fix?
    The magnetron tube failures I referred to was due to poor design and shouldn't have occurred during in the time frame they did, although it commonly did.

GE came up with a repair kit to correct the problem. *I* wouldn't classify the job as difficult but not as "easy" either. Considerable disassembly of the unit is required to accomplish it.

AHS called me said my claim was denied because it is not normal wear.
    If the unit is less than 5-years old, the magnetron tube may still be coved by the original product's limited warranty (see the following link). Check with GE, you may at least be able to get a small rebate on repairs if still covered by GE.

LINK > The Purchase: Limited Warranties

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. I found out the model number is JVM1661WB001
      I will check with GE and see if I can find any information.
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by chadcheng

the model number is JVM1661WB001
        That is one of the microwave models which had the problems with the magnetron tube. You can read a bit about it at the following link:

LINK > GE Spacemaker Microwave Problems

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =