Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

I own a Kenmore front loader washer, it's around 5 years old. It started making a lot of noise especially on the spin cycle. It was also getting stains on my clothes. I called a few places and all of them told me I had to change a bearing and the cheapest I got was 300-350$ to fix it. I just wonder if it's worth it to fix it, how many years will it be good for or should I just buy a new one?

Kenmore front loader washer, it's around 5 years old.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

Forum Notice > Please include Make and Model # in post

making a lot of noise especially on the spin cycle. It was also getting stains on my clothes. I called a few places and all of them told me I had to change a bearing
    Sight unseen? Bad tub bearings might be a possibility, yes.

the cheapest was 300-350$ to fix it. I just wonder if it's worth it to fix it
    That will depend on how expensive a model it is/was. How much will it cost to replace it with a *comparable* model?

If the repair is near or over 1/2 the cost of a *comparable* replacement, needing such a costly repair in many cases would not be 'worth it', no. But that is a decision you will have to make.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Personally I wouldn't bother. what you save by new bearings and suspension springs is worth a new appliance.

Comment

My washer is a 3.1 kenmore front loader, the model # 970-c42062-00 serial # xc34417809.

The 300-350$ is the cheapest I found to repair it, most places I called were asking 500-600$ to fix it which is way to expensive. I can buy a new one for that price. I was told the piece will cost me 150$ and that it takes 2-21/2 hours to fix it. I presume that he charges must less than others because he just open his shop a few months ago. I just wonder if once I fix it how many years will the washer will still be good for........thanks

Comment

Kenmore front loader washer model # 970-c42062-00
          That is a smaller model made for Sears Canada by Frigidaire. It should be less expensive to replace thereby making major repairs to it less cost effective.

*IF* the tub bearings were really required (BTW you're not certain of that yet), I personally doubt *I'd* get it repaired.

I just wonder if once I fix it how many years will the washer will still be good for
          That is impossible to say.

he just open his shop a few months ago
          Hopefully he's familiar working on such machines, they can be very difficult to service properly. IF you're going to get it repaired, I would suggest using a factory trained technician only but that too will be up to you. Do the job once and do it right!

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.ca
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =