Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Month old Fridge making noise

We had a new fridge delivered 6 months ago. Was tired of the buzzing / humming noise, followed with a knock knock knock. Thought it was normal, but then started looking at the fridge. Took the back part of the freezer off "on the inside". Found this piece of styro foam there. See attached pic. Was that suppose to be removed during install? or is that a crucial piece of foam there? The noise is away but now i am curious if i just removed an important piece. Maybe it was there as a spacer. i dont know. the freezer was cold but kind of moist cold. you know condensation here and there. but now seems correct. Thanks for your replies and answers.

Model is GE GTS17. That pic i took was a piece i found lodged that goes from freezer to the main fridge area. was behind/under the plate that protects the freezer fan.
    Last edited by jdv; 04-17-2009, 03:40 PM. Reason: adding model

Originally posted by jdv
    ...Took the back part of the freezer off "on the inside". Found this piece of styro foam there. Was that suppose to be removed during install?
    It shouldn't have been necessary to disassemble any part of the appliance to install it but if you go to the GE appliance's web site you should be able to download its installation instructions to check for yourself.

or is that a crucial piece of foam there?
    My guess would be yes but I am not familiar with that particular piece. It could very well be part of the fridge's internal air ducting.

i am curious if i just removed an important piece.
    If the appliance is covered by warranty I suggest you call for service... and don't throw that part out in the mean time!

Model is GE GTS17.
    BTW. That model number is woefully incomplete. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

thanks for the reply. huh. i was hoping on good news. well, i'll put the part back in.

the inside of the fridge states model:

GTS17BBSALCC

I went to ge website and found nothing that could help me in this issue. still got the noise, now that i put the part (foam) back in.

Just weird. I even saw the red glow of the coils or whatever that is from the vents when i emptied the freezer today. and the back panel was warm/hot vs what i would think would be ice cold for a freezer. this is the top level of the fridge. i know a fridge has to run and do its thing to cool down the goods inside... but should i be seeing it like that with the red coils or what not? i got a possed fridge. obviously im clueless on fridges.
      Last edited by jdv; 04-17-2009, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I even saw the red glow of the coils
        That would likely be the defrost heater(s) defrosting the evaporator coil. That could occur up to 4-times a day.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =