Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Dependable Care Plus Dyer -->no heat -- Model#LDG8704AAE

Maytag gas dryer worked fine until it stopped producing heat. I read some old threads and fiqured out my ignitor coil is broken. Upon inspection, I saw the heating element had a crack in it.

Is the repair as simple as replacing the ignitor or could there be some other root cause?

the igniter is a hot surface carbon filament heater. should be a simple fix of removing a screw or two screws, two push on spade connectors and just replacing the unit. they're not cheap - be prepared to spend at least $45.

Comment

Venting should be cleaned *regularly*

the [ignitor] had a crack in it. Is the repair as simple as replacing the ignitor or could there be some other root cause?
      The only problem in the dryer which I can think of that could contribute to its ignitor failing prematurely is maybe it cycling on and off too much.

LINK > Maytag LDG8704AAE Dryer Ignitor

I'm sure just replacing the ignitor is probably all that is needed to fix that immediate problem but you might want to take the time to inspect and/or clean dryer venting *all the way from the dryer to the outdoors* as poor air flow could cause the dryer's burner to cycle on and off more than is normal.

LINK > Dryer Vent Information

A *thorough* dryer vent cleaning should be done several times a year but at least once in the fall before heavy dryer use of winter is wise. Mark it on your maintenance calendar.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you for the advice.

I replaced the ignitor today....but still no heat. When I would open the front and watch it run for a minute or so, the ignitor would not glow/heat up.

I also ran the dryer with the door on and the vent duct removed and would not feel any heat from the exhaust.

Do you have any other troubleshooting steps?

Comment

ok, see if you can find the schematic diagram for the dryer. it may be glued to the back or may be inside the top where your controls are. SCHEMATICS 101: everything on the right side of the diagram is neutral or L2. Everything on the left side is 120 volt "hot" Look on the diagram for the igniter - may be marked ign or H. follow the wire backwards from the igniter towards the "hot" side look for a device in series with the igniter, an overload could be marked TH with a line with a squiggle on it. just keep backtracking on the diagram and checking the components eventually you'll find something open that's supposed to be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by dannka137
            I replaced the ignitor today but still no heat... the ignitor would not glow/heat up.
            That could be caused by no power getting to the whole burner assembly (like could be caused by a failure of any of the dryer's thermostats or timer) or a problem in the burner itself. Checking to see if the burner is receiving power when it should be heating should isolate which of those components need further investigation.

BTW. If interested there is a service manual available for that dryer design. You can see it at the following link:

LINK > 1994-1997 Maytag Gas/Electric Dryer Service Manual

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

ignorant question time. . .

I am a new homeowner, so I have never done any of this before. . .

so how do I check the power to the burner?

The ignitor is wired to the first solenoid on the gas valve. After the dryer would run for a few minutes, this solenoid would be warm to the touch. Is that normal or a sign of failure?

Thank you again for the help.

Comment

so how do I check the power to the burner?
                Someone would have to find the two wires leading to the burner and test for power at its connection.

this solenoid would be warm to the touch [after a few minutes]. Is that normal or a sign of failure?
                The burner solenoids will generate some heat when they are powered.

BTW. If they still get warm, it could be an indication that the burner assembly is indeed getting power in which case something in the burner could be preventing the ignitor from operating. If the burner's radiant sensor (see the following link) had open contacts even before the ignitor glowed or there was a flame, it might be responsible for the ignitor not glowing.

LINK > Maytag LDG8704AAE Burner Radiant Sensor

That sensor should have closed electrical contacts until the ignitor glows red or a flame is present at the burner at which time its contacts open disconnecting power from the ignitor.

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Connected wires from radiant sensor. . .

Good news!!!

I disconnected wires from radiant sensor, manually connected them and turned the dryer on.

Success!!! ignitor lit up!

Separated the wires and bam! gas valve opens and there is fire!!

I will go buy a new sensor tomorrow and hopefully will have the same success.

Thank you to everybody for the help!

Comment

Installed radiant sensor today and everything works!. Watched in run, thermostat kicked in, gas turned off, dryer cooled off, ignitor heated up, and gas started a fire again.

Thanks again. This forum along with the web helped me save ~500 bucks on a new dryer.

Comment

I had the problem with the ignitor glowing, but no solenoid activation. There is a little window on the LDG 412 model that the sensor "looks" through. After I cleaned it -- BINGO! Flame!

Maybe this is common to other models too.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =