• Show
Clear All

• Inglis Dishwasher Float

Hi

House I'm renting has an older Inglis dishwasher
    model IEU37100. Never trusted it.

It overflowed and leaked onto the floor (and into the
    heating vent, out the ceiling vent one level down, onto
    2 monitors, port replicator, external hard drive )

I suspect the float or switch. Float seems to move ok.

Ran another short cycle, worked fine this time.
    I've read about removing the float to make sure the mechanism is not clogged up, but not sure how to remove it - do I just pull up until to gives?

I recall now the landlord told me to run just the short cycle, and not to press any of the electronic switches on the panel (altho he did not say why). Could running a longer cycle be showing up a problem where a short cycle would not?

Thanks for any ideas you have!

A.

the over flow float is just an inverted plastic cup with a plastic rod in the middle. this rod goes down inside a tube in the base of the dishwasher and contacts a lever microswitch underneath the machine. check inside the tube for solidified dishwash soap and clean out. the float should move quite easily up/down in this tube.

Comment

thanks, but when i pull up on the cup, it goes up easily about one inch or so. then its stops. do i pull beyond this range? it feels like it would take some force to pull it up higher and i don't want to break it.

also, i seem to recall that when i opened the dishwasher i noted that it was still filling with water, which was what led me to cut off the water supply. what would make a stopped dishwasher keep filling? does that suggest some problem other than the float? like a bad valve?

is the float there to regulate volume or merely to stop overflows?

thanks again!

Comment

Defective water valve

it feels like it would take some force to pull it up higher and i don't want to break it.
        Many floats have a retaining clip to hold them in place during transit. You shouldn't force it any further than it will go.

It overflowed and leaked onto the floor. I suspect the float or switch.
        Two things can cause a dishwasher to overflow; the water valve being powered for too long (plus the float switch not disengaging that power) or the water valve just never physically closing to stop water flow.

All a working float and switch can do is stop power, which holds it open, from reaching the water valve (see the following link).

LINK > How does an appliance water fill valve work?

what would make a stopped dishwasher keep filling?
        Only a defective water valve could allow the dishwasher to fill even when not being powered.

LINK > Inglis IEU37100 Water Fill Valve

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.ca
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

"Only a defective water valve could allow the dishwasher to fill even when not being powered."

Thanks Dan this is great information, the link to the
          valve description really helps!

Is it safe to assume that door open == not being powered (ie. when I open the door, the power to the valve should be disconnected [[unless there is yet some other problem]])?

Thanks

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by SunshineCoast

Is it safe to assume that door open == [water valve] not being powered
            Yes... but don't rely on just that for servicing. Disconnect all power from the dishwasher prior to attempting service!

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.ca
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =